• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows prompts for admin password when instaling software but there is no password.

cosrocket    3
Posted (edited)

A friend of mine has a PC on which he wants Adobe Reader installed as his PDF reader, He was having a problem installing it so he asked me to see what was happening. The issue he is having is when he goes to install it or any software, he gets a window prompting him for his administrator password. The thing is he is not using a password to log into Windows. He is logging into Windows with a local administrator account without a password. So if he isn't using a password to log into windows why is he getting the prompt to enter his administrator password when he wants to install software? I tried to change his account from a local account to a Microsoft account but forgot that it would aske me for his local account password which doesn't exist.

I'm at a loss. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this?

Brandon H    3,045

Admin account has to have a password usually.

I'm guessing his user account is set as a limited user; that would be the only reason it asks for another user account and password.

If he's sure this isn't the case then something may be very corrupt and it might be time to think about reinstalling Windows fresh

cosrocket    3
Posted (edited)

If he is logged in as a limited user is there a way to change  that? 

The way it is set up is there are 2 accounts lets say account 1 and account 2. When I go into settings and Sign In Options from what I remember only Account 1 is listed. If I go into Control Panel and then Users only account 2 shows and is listed as a local administraator account. I tried installing software with both accounts but you're prompted for the administrator password even though you can log into Windows with either account without a password.. VERY strange.

n_K    2,431

start -> run > control userpasswords2 > advanced > local user/group management

From here you can see the accounts and set/change a password (do it from the administrator account)

cosrocket    3

OK, thanks. I'll try that tomorrow. Appreciate your help/