Parts suggestions for this mobo

Hi again. Today I stumbled across a P5LP-LE with a Pentium D (820) 2.8GHz and 4GB DDR2 PC400. Would like to assemble and sell. I have also been given a 430w PSU with a single 6pin for GPU.

Please suggest a GPU... and possibly a CPU? I know this thing is capable of an Alice Madness Returns era of games, just need a Case, GPU and possibly a CPU if the Pentium D is too weak.

Psu is thermaltake tr2-430

I think C2D e6X00 or x4X00 is better than the Pentium D... Not sure on that...

I think that is a PCI-E 2...

The case needs a Micro-ATX. So about any case will work.

Anyone know more on this?

Edit: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00864946

2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I think C2D e6X00 or x4X00 is better than the Pentium D... Not sure on that...

I think that is a PCI-E 2...

The case needs a Micro-ATX. So about any case will work.

Anyone know more on this?

Edit: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00864946

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/upgrading-the-cpu-in-an-asus-p5lp-le-mobo.2263827/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/hp-branded-asus-p5lp-le-upgrade-problem.1647583/

It is a early Socket 775 mobo before the days that the Core 2 Q6600 ruled the PC world for a year or so... It can't take a Quad core.

Then to make it worse HP limited the range of CPUs in the BIOS.

Step one would be to verify that it has the latest BIOS from HP. Even a slightly newer BIOS could expand the range of CPU support.

It should take a Core 2 E6700, but NOT later CPUs with a 5 in the third digit...

I like to fiddle and tinker so I tried out a Pentium-D a couple of years back and it was very very slow. Just on the wrong side of a perceptual border I think. Certainly the the Q6600 is very usable for a very large number of people and I have a bunch of those running as servers on my LAN. In between is the dual core E series which is super worth the jump from a Pentium-D if the cost is nominal.

Also Pentium-D runs super hot becuase it is basically TWO Pentium 4s on a glued together chip. The worst of the last hurrah of the Pentium 4 times 2! Something really weird about a CPU so weak, that is running so hot...

4 minutes ago, DevTech said:

It is a early Socket 775 mobo before the days that the Core 2 Q6600 ruled the PC world for a year or so... It can't take a Quad core.

I never said a Quad. I said a C2D....

3 hours ago, Izlude said:

Hi again. Today I stumbled across a P5LP-LE with a Pentium D (820) 2.8GHz and 4GB DDR2 PC400. Would like to assemble and sell. I have also been given a 430w PSU with a single 6pin for GPU.

Please suggest a GPU... and possibly a CPU? I know this thing is capable of an Alice Madness Returns era of games, just need a Case, GPU and possibly a CPU if the Pentium D is too weak.

Psu is thermaltake tr2-430

I made up a list of "Value" GPU chips:

If the computer is going to somebody you know, strive to get a GTX 770 since it is excellent value at around $80 used...

If you are just selling it randomly, then the 770 might look like overkill and something like the 560 might work out better

A Core 2 E6700 and a GTX 550 Ti or greater is going to play a very nice assortment of games very nicely.... Minecraft, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, etc.

EDIT: to be part of NVIDIA's current driver updates, any NVIDIA GPU needs to be 600 series or later. 

3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I never said a Quad. I said a C2D....

I know that - I was providing my direct experience with these older CPUs

I started off saying a quad was not possible, but it is a "psychological" benchmark IMO as the oldest CPU that is still VERY USABLE for a wide range of things in 2019. Many people surfing the net and checking Facebook on a well configured Q6600 would not notice any slowness.

Moving down from there, the Pentium-D is very much on the side of the "Grand Canyon" of "tear your hair out and throw the computer through the window frustratingly slow"

Low end Core 2 like 4XXX etc will be more like the Pentium-D and the Core 2 E700 might get close to the Q6600 in terms of psychological tolerance...

Maybe another way to think of it is the standard system boost of adding a SSD boot drive works really well on a Q6600 but on a Pentium-D, you still want to go all Hulk on it and drop it off the top of a building.