Good 4K TV options anyone?

in '14, we bought a Samsung 46" 3D TV - over this time, the screen has been replaced 3 times.  Once every year just about -the back lights on it are burning out fast.  Then, the HDMI stopped processing sound, so I replaced the motherboard on it and Samsung refuses to call it a defective TV (I was out of warranty per them anyway, so MOBO replacement was not an issue for me to do).   Then, we had a home theatre 3d Blu-Ray combo which tanked about 1 1/2 years later due to overheating issues, we mostly used it for the sound, as a receiver.

I feel very badly burned by Samsung products and given the investment of $700 at the time for the TV, I am not willing to go back to the brand anymore.   I've been out of touch with the offerings and know that there are seemingly unknown brands and I guess lower end ones?   The prices have gotten to be much cheaper.  I have a Roku 4, and a PS4 Pro so I would love to be able to take advantage of as much 4K content as I can.

What brands other than Samsung do you find to be a good value for your money?   (My price range is $400/less)

TCL ... Vizio?

LG also has a 49" for under $400 which gets pretty good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-49UK6300PUE-49-Inch-Ultra/dp/B079V3HQ4Y

Also have this TCL which has good reviews for under $300

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-50S425-inch-Smart-Roku/dp/B07JK98NNQ

or a 55" model (two years old)

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55S405-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01MTGM5I9

55 minutes ago, PNWDweller said:

in '14, we bought a Samsung 46" 3D TV - over this time, the screen has been replaced 3 times.  Once every year just about -the back lights on it are burning out fast. 

This is probably because you're running them full brightness all the time. Running LED diodes at almost full voltage all the time never does them any good, it can literally shorten their rated lifespan in half. Turn them down from full at least 15%.

It was the same advice I always gave with old CCFL tube backlights, the brighter they were run, the hotter they got, and the faster the tube anodes (ends that react with the gas) wore out. The manuals themselves often recommend this too. It even helps with plasma displays too.

I had a guy keep bringing his TV in for backlight faults, after the 4th time he started listening to me and has never been back since for backlight problems.

Recently tried an lg smart tv and was not a fan of the smart tv UI .. Roku ui is so much better 

3 hours ago, warwagon said:

Got my gf this last year and it’s good

I read your review, and the issue I found with it was the way reflected the light.   Right now, it is an issue here, Skylight hits the TV every day almost and makes it hard sometimes to see, but also house lights  can drown it out.  But given the TV, it is too dark anymore for us.    Backlight flickers, so we have to turn it down to keep it from doing that.   We are planning to move to AZ, so that will mean more sun probably and so I am hoping to get something that doesn't reflect or get washed out with the house lights. 

2 hours ago, Tidosho said:

This is probably because you're running them full brightness all the time. Running LED diodes at almost full voltage all the time never does them any good, it can literally shorten their rated lifespan in half. Turn them down from full at least 15%.

It was the same advice I always gave with old CCFL tube backlights, the brighter they were run, the hotter they got, and the faster the tube anodes (ends that react with the gas) wore out. The manuals themselves often recommend this too. It even helps with plasma displays too.

I had a guy keep bringing his TV in for backlight faults, after the 4th time he started listening to me and has never been back since for backlight problems.

Yes, it is due to the backlight being to high.  I read online that Samsung didn't warn about getting them on 20 (highest value).  I know a lot better now that now.  But it sucks to see that it was one of those things that could go bad so easily.  I was going to replace the back lights, but after getting into the TV, and starting to take the screen apart and watching the online instructions on Youtube, I decided it was big NOPE!