Wallpaper Question

Hi,

I usually use latex wall paper in which i wet and stick it on my walls. My bathroom is very small and I thought it needed replacing so I bought some new wallpaper, I have never used wallpaper that needs to be pasted so I was wondering if i took off the latex paper and then primed the walls with paint and then used the paste with the new paper if that should hang well? If yes, and 10 yrs from now, will that be easy to take off?

Thx

With a small bathroom, the cost of LCD Monitors to cover the surface area is far more affordable.

Installing the Wallpaper is just a matter of dividing the various scenes into sub-divisions based on the number of monitors and the sum total of the monitor resolution.

Your glue idea simply won't work. You must sink screws into the wall to hold the weight of even light LED monitors.

(Please note that you asked this question at Neowin and not HomeDepot.com)

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, DevTech said:

With a small bathroom, the cost of LCD Monitors to cover the surface area is far more affordable.

Installing the Wallpaper is just a matter of dividing the various scenes into sub-divisions based on the number of monitors and the sum total of the monitor resolution.

Your glue idea simply won't work. You must sink screws into the wall to hold the weight of even light LED monitors.

(Please note that you asked this question at Neowin and not HomeDepot.com)

You are soooo funny. You should sign up for Americas Got Talent. (Please not that I posted this question in the general discussion section of Neowin)

4 hours ago, Bruinator said:

You are soooo funny. You should sign up for Americas Got Talent. (Please not that I posted this question in the general discussion section of Neowin)

Yeah well, FWIW, wallpaper of the physical kind should be avoided in bathrooms which is a harsh environment for mold etc.

Strip off everything and cover with high quality (not cheapo) primer. Then cover with either "mold resistant bathroom paint" or a polyurethane paint. To get a wallpaper-like effect without the risk of actual wallpaper, you can use cutouts in sheets of plastic or cardboard to make "stencils" to paint on patterns of your own design (such as the Neowin Logo) in a complementary (polyurethane-based) color....

Yeah wallpaper seems an odd choice for a bathroom. Tiles and bathroom specific paint is probably better 

• Like 1

Well, I have had wallpaper in my parents house as well as mine for over 30 yrs without issue so it's not unusual as you might think !!!!!!

1 hour ago, dipsylalapo said:

Yeah wallpaper seems an odd choice for a bathroom. Tiles and bathroom specific paint is probably better 

I agree I can't remember seeing wallpaper in a bathroom other than 40 years ago at grandparents house.

1 hour ago, shockz said:

Wallpaper is never easy to remove. Especially if you go that paint method. If you're set on wallpaper like design, there are paint kits that come in rollers to make various designs with two or more paint colors.

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Designer-Deluxe-Decorative-Roller/dp/B0001H5Y58

I have used this type of system in the past and it looks great. This produces a very attractive pattern but the effect is easier to appreciate over large areas. The home made stencils that I suggested might be a better choice for a smaller area.

Also for kitchens, a "jumbled" tile backdrop has become very popular. That would also make a nice feature with a bathroom counter.

https://www.amazon.com/Art3d-10-Piece-Backsplash-Bathroom-Gray-White/dp/B01CG8AESQ/

3 hours ago, Bruinator said:

Well, I have had wallpaper in my parents house as well as mine for over 30 yrs without issue so it's not unusual as you might think !!!!!!

It is VERY unusual!

3 hours ago, Bruinator said:

That or you didn’t know there was mold behind it ;)

• Like 2

Steam is your friend for wallpaper removal. That is why you usually don't see wallpaper in a bathroom. I don't think I have ever seen a border that runs along the ceiling stay on the walls in a bathroom.

I guess we can agree to disagree when it comes to wallpapering a bathroom cause I know many people who do it. I am not talking about total wallpaper all of it coz my bathroom is mostly tiled. Just a small portion isnt. If you thought I meant inside the shower... LOL..that is funny.

1 hour ago, Human.Online said:

It is VERY unusual!

Lol Not really.  Ask ppl who sell wallpaper.

5 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

I guess we can agree to disagree when it comes to wallpapering a bathroom cause I know many people who do it. I am not talking about total wallpaper all of it coz my bathroom is mostly tiled. Just a small portion isnt.

Lol Not really.  Ask ppl who sell wallpaper.

No need to ask, I know that it is hugely uncommon in damp or humid areas all over the world for very obvious reasons.

Vinyl is sometimes used but pretty much always hides issues underneath.

2 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

No need to ask, I know that it is hugely uncommon in damp or humid areas all over the world for very obvious reasons.

Vinyl is sometimes used but pretty much always hides issues underneath.

Like I said we can agree to disagree.

14 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Absolutely. It’s your bathroom at the end of the day 

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

That or you didn’t know there was mold behind it ;)

Out of sight, out of mind. What you don't think about can't hurt you. 

The reason mold grows is almost always because of lack of ventaliation. Back before showers were common place, it was quite common for baths to only have a single row (if you're lucky) of tiles if the bath was against a wall, or none at all if it was free standing. With showers, water is sprayed, a lot more goes into the air and will form as droplets via steam or excess moisture condensation. The issue isn't the wallpaper itself, its the paste. Most paste is anti-bacterial now, so mold is going to find it hard to grow on. However the plaster behind it is the real issue. Moden builds tend to have waterproof barrier and anti-moud addatives added to the sheetrock to prevent moud groth, older buildings not really... and in this the problem lays. Even with tiles, with lack of proper upkeep on grouting water can seep in behind and moud groth can occur even if you can't see it.

A good extractor fan, a few tiles around the bath with good amount of cawking designed for use in bathrooms will help.
If you have a shower, you'll need to ensure that the wet side of the shower is tiled, or shielded using a glass panel or shower curtain.
Ideally you'll want a convection heat source in the room, like a towel warmer, or radiator to help warm and circulate the air. Don't leave damp cloths, towels or mats in the room.

26 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

11 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

Absolutely. It’s your bathroom at the end of the day 

Yeah, but if you think about the OP in an empathic human kind of way, and then all of the people who will use the room, it is a GOOD thing to caution about the potentially severe effect of mold on human health.

If there is even a small isty-bitsy chance of harm to a human from a decorating design choice, then why not take a few moments and really think about the choice from a health point of view?

In the end of course without a doubt the OP has the choice, but he asked for input on it right here and I think we have all provided in aggregate a nice set of options for him to consider so although always difficult on the internet, an emphasis on cooperation over debate would be "healthier" in this case...

39 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Yeah, but if you think about the OP in an empathic human kind of way, and then all of the people who will use the room, it is a GOOD thing to caution about the potentially severe effect of mold on human health.

If there is even a small isty-bitsy chance of harm to a human from a decorating design choice, then why not take a few moments and really think about the choice from a health point of view?

In the end of course without a doubt the OP has the choice, but he asked for input on it right here and I think we have all provided in aggregate a nice set of options for him to consider so although always difficult on the internet, an emphasis on cooperation over debate would be "healthier" in this case...

You are right and I am wrong. :)

• Jim K locked this topic