Text Editor with FTP Support

Hi

I'm struggling to find a text/code editor that has FTP support.  I know BBEdit has (very basic) support, but looking for something more.  Atom has some support but it's not great.

I'm looking for a text-editor (akin to NotePad++) with a sidebar that can display an FTP dialogue with folder structure.

Any suggestions?

Ta

ftp.jpg

Coda, UltraEdit, Sublime Text (with optional package) are a few examples that have this function. Or you could use something like Transmit and mount remote FTP servers as volumes and use edit them with whatever editor you want,

• Thanks 1

To be honest that is just horrible way to go about it... ftp your file to your machine... edit it how you want, ftp it back..

Better yet, use sftp/scp - since ftp should of died off 10 some years ago... That it is still in use is just pathetic beyond belief.. .And the only reason it is so is clients don't complain that sftp is not available or bitch if ftp is not there...

If you really want to do what your doing - any ftp client normally can be setup to open the text file with your fav text editor, and then send it back when file saved. filezilla does this for example.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BudMan said:

To be honest that is just horrible way to go about it... ftp your file to your machine... edit it how you want, ftp it back..

I know you're all about best practices and often so am I (and would use something like GIT for deployment), but this is a time when just quick editing access is needed.

6 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Better yet, use sftp/scp - since ftp should of died off 10 some years ago...

But it didn't and so here we are.  The reason I name FTP is for simplicity's sake, any file transfer method would be acceptable here - but FTP is the predominant protocol in use.

17 minutes ago, virtorio said:

Coda, UltraEdit, Sublime Text (with optional package) are a few examples that have this function. Or you could use something like Transmit and mount remote FTP servers as volumes and use edit them with whatever editor you want,

UltraEdit seems like a winner!  Thanks!

38 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

but FTP is the predominant protocol in use.

Nonsense... Maybe for the home user accessing his shared webhosting, that doesn't know anything but... And his idiot computer buddy said you can use ftp to do that <rolleyes>

I haven't use ftp in YEARS!!! Not for work, not for play... Its a legacy protocol that needs to be killed off ;)

1 minute ago, BudMan said:

Nonsense... Maybe for the home user accessing his shared webhosting, that doesn't know anything but... And his idiot computer buddy said you can use ftp to do that <rolleyes>

I haven't use ftp in YEARS!!! Not for work, not for play... Its a legacy protocol that needs to be killed off ;)

Once again, thank you for your input but we are where we are and FTP in this context very much IS the predominant protocol in use.  Are there better?  Of course.  Are they more widely used by people who know better?  Of course.  But are they more predominantly used for the use case given?  Absolutely not.

• Like 1

Well maybe you should be looking to change that, vs holding on to something that has been around from 71 and has no security...  Debian killed it off back in 17..

Your continue use of it - is part of the problem!

Just now, BudMan said:

Well maybe you should be looking to change that, vs holding on to something that has been around from 71 and has no security...  Debian killed it off back in 17..

Your continue use of it - is part of the problem!

Once again, thank you for you input.

Somewhat off topic so don’t think this a suggestion: 

I use winscp and use vs code as the default editor. Whenever you save the file that’s in the remote location, it uploads it back automatically. Makes working on an openwrt router project way quicker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Human.Online said:

VS Code is absolutely my preferred editor, so will look into that.  Thanks

You will need to setup the external editor to use it in the preferences.