Critical Error on shutdown or restart

All of a sudden every time I restart or reboot windows gives me a critical error notification. The screen goes blank by that point so I cannot see what the error is. Are there logs of these errors I can look at. Where do I start?

7 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

All of a sudden every time I restart or reboot windows gives me a critical error notification. The screen goes blank by that point so I cannot see what the error is. Are there logs of these errors I can look at. Where do I start?

Event viewer should show you any errors, also you could try Whocrashed (assuming it's a bluescreen error)

In startup and recovery under system failure do you have "Automatically restart" checked?  Try unchecking and seeing if that will allow you to see the error.

"Critical error notification". Is it blue screening? Does it just have an error box pop up? Sounds not legit to me, especially if event viewer isn't showing anything

No blue screen I just hear the critical stop sound just before it goes to the shutdown screen

Does the system boot at all? If not, I wonder if it is temperature causing it to shut down... you could check the obvious things like dust build up, etc.

System boot's, shut's down and restarts perfectly. I just get the critical error sound just after the screen goes blank on shutdown or reboot.

Try to see if it is a recently installed software or Windows Update that caused it. If you have system restore enabled, maybe go back to a time when you didn't get the critical stop sound.

I am guessing it is the sound you hear when an app crashes (or is forced stopped) which usually also pauses shutdown or reboot. It is the most annoying thing to discover hanged programs (even file explorer) when rebooting or shutting down Windows :| 

Yes, it is just annoying. Even my Eset Smart Security gives a critical error when it blocks a malicious website so it could be that. Still looking.

I found out what it is. I use the Electric Sheep screen saver and once in a while my Eset (not so) Smart Security blocks a URL it is trying to reach and Windows gives me the critical error sound. How can I get Eset to stop blocking certain sites?

I tried putting in the corresponding IP address in the Eset web ignore list but it is still blocking it.

Nothing at all. As I said in my last post I found the culprit. It is Eset Smart Security blocking a web site my sceen-saver is trying to get to.