Emulation on Linux

I'm looking for good quality Console Emulators for Linux that also have joystick support. So far I've found the tried-and-true ZSNES for SNES emulation (works WONDERUFLLY, but did you expect anything else from this team?), but that's about it.

I'm looking for NES and Genesis/Master System specifically.

On the NES side of things, I did find tuxnes, however it's quality is lacking, and it has compatibility issues with numerous games (including Startropics - who wants to run in 4-bit mapper mode!?). The better emulators out there seem to lack joystick support, thus eliminating them from my list, including iNES and fwnes. I've got a Blaster Master and Bionic Commando itch to scratch!

Gens 2.11/Linux seems to have a problem with the tarball that is available both at the homepage and at the Sourceforge Project page (unexpected EOF, though it might just be my GPRS connection compressing a compressed file again - thus FUBARing it). Still, what other options are there out there besides Gens?

What other emulators, aside from MAME and ePSXe, do you guys/gals use to fulfill your emulation needs? I don't expect the same quality we've now seen from ZSNES (I don't think I've ever seen a better emulator than this, point one out if you have), but something even remotely close would be welcomed.

Note: As soon as I get some programming under my belt (read: once I get to school), I plan on helping one of these projects (good experience, right?) - so please don't tell me to write my own. :) (I've gotten this comment before elsewhere, so I figured I'd just say it now)

Legal Disclamer: I do not distribute ROMs, nor do I know where to find them. Please don't ask for ROMs.

My favority emulators are UAE (amiga) XMAME (with GXMAME frontend - now available with GTK2) and Scummvm (for Monkey Island 1+2+3, Loom, Indianna Jones & FOA, Beneith a Steel Sky (with speech)). All these are also available and work just as well (if not better in the case of UAE) on Windows. Thanks to a particular newsgroups (don't ask) I have about 7 gigs of arcade machines (about 2500 MAME ROMS) - including Area51MX, all the Street Fighters and Cruisin USA, and have to say that XMAME/MAME32 is my favorite emulator, I personally find 0.78 the most compatable with ROMS floating around right now.

Where would one go to legally obtain whatever is needed for UAE to run? I miss my Amiga 500S, and would love to run AmigaOS again, even if emulated.

GXMAME is quite nice - but unfortunately MAME beats the living daylights out of my system - a 2.5MB NeoMagic video card SUCKS for emulating. That's why I'm looking for the smaller end console emulators.

Thanks for the heads up on Scummvm - I'll have to check it out :)

I use Gens for Sega Systems and

Mupen64 for Nintendo64.

Had some joystick problems with mupen64 but gens works great.

Sweet deal. I'll have to snag 2.11 as I'm having compile issues with 2.12a (could just be FC1 :shrug: )

I'll have to check out mupen64 - thanks for the heads up on this one! :happy:

Where would one go to legally obtain whatever is needed for UAE to run? I miss my Amiga 500S, and would love to run AmigaOS again, even if emulated.

GXMAME is quite nice - but unfortunately MAME beats the living daylights out of my system - a 2.5MB NeoMagic video card SUCKS for emulating. That's why I'm looking for the smaller end console emulators.

Thanks for the heads up on Scummvm - I'll have to check it out :)

For games try Home of the Underdogs for starters, there are loads of other legal abandonware sites and complete collections are always being posted on usenet.

For the ROM image, that's not so easy, you can't legally obtain it, but it's out there! The Kickstart 3.1 is the best for newer games, 1.3 for older - you can get a program to flash a rom from an amiga, and create a file, e.g. kick31.rom - then you can use that.