Server 2016 Unable to log in locally + other things

Hello,

We've got a really weird issue with one of our servers and wondering if anyone here has an ideas what's going on.

Hardware : Dell EMC R640

When the nic/s are plugged into the server and we reboot, we are then unable to login via domain or even local admin.  When you type in the localadmin username and password then press enter, there's no errors but it just goes back to the username field.  At this stage the server is fubar.

Disconnect the nic/s then reboot the server, you are then able to log into the domain and local admin! 

What I done was got a replacement nic cards sent from Dell, but unfortunately it's not made any difference, updated all firmware, winsock resets.

It's now beyond me, unfortunately it happens to be a server which was a pig to setup and is our PKI server, so obviously don't want to do a re-build unless I absolutely have to

Can you login locally with it disconnected, remove it from the domain, plug it back in and re-join it to the domain? Check the date/time on that box also.

Also can you post your ipconfig /all ?

If the server is booted with the network cables plugged in, then disconnect you can't login.  Can only log in when the server boots without network cables plugged in.

I'm unable to to post the IPconfig due to our restrictions in place, sorry about that.

I'm currently uninstalling last months patches, as it's been fine for well over a year and only other thing I can think of

Another thing I noticed which is odd, if I set everything to DHCP (don't have a DHCP server available, so it doesn't actually get an IP address) and the network cable is plugged in, I can then reboot the server and log in locally.  As soon as the IP is set though, back to square one.  The IP doesn't ping when the server is disconnected so nothing else using the IP, but then that shouldn't stop local login anyway

if you can login locally to it via a local admin account you should be able to post the ipconfig. Just omit any domain names or specific items to your company.

Did you try removing it from the domain using the local account and adding it back into the domain?

What happens if you create a completely new Local admin account and attempt to log in to that?

Is this enabled: local security policy > local policies > security options > interactive logon: require domain controller authentication to unlock workstation

Just above that, are the number if previous logons to cache a number greater than 0?