Disable video thumbnails (but not photo thumbnails)

It is possible per folder, but I do not think per file type. 

If you wanted to disable thumbnail preview for the Video folder, you could adjust the settings for that folder to not show previews.

If you have them mixed together, it would disable picture ones as well.

Video thumbs are the bane of my existence as well.

Seeing as I have quite a few folders and hundreds of video files, the last thing I want to do.. is wait for Explorer to scan/cache and then preview each individual file.  I set all my folders to "Details" because I manually edit the mp4's metadata so I can sort via Comments.  Hence why I've complained insistently when I upgrade to a newer version of Windows, all of Explorer gets reset to defaults.

However, anything like this takes precision.  The registry controls how things work...so, after finding this thread, I strongly advise you to back up the registry entry before making any changes.  To back up a single entry, once you're there, right click the entry and click on Export.  Save the file to your desktop.

Proceed to this page with caution.. if you're not comfortable navigating or playing in the registry.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/any-way-to-disable-the-thumbnails-of-video-files.247708/

17 hours ago, xMorpheousx416 said:

Video thumbs are the bane of my existence as well.

Seeing as I have quite a few folders and hundreds of video files, the last thing I want to do.. is wait for Explorer to scan/cache and then preview each individual file.  I set all my folders to "Details" because I manually edit the mp4's metadata so I can sort via Comments.  Hence why I've complained insistently when I upgrade to a newer version of Windows, all of Explorer gets reset to defaults.

However, anything like this takes precision.  The registry controls how things work...so, after finding this thread, I strongly advise you to back up the registry entry before making any changes.  To back up a single entry, once you're there, right click the entry and click on Export.  Save the file to your desktop.

Proceed to this page with caution.. if you're not comfortable navigating or playing in the registry.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/any-way-to-disable-the-thumbnails-of-video-files.247708/

That forum topic contains advice from 2008 (Windows Vista).

Do you think it would still apply to Windows 10 in 2019?

54 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

That forum topic contains advice from 2008 (Windows Vista).

Do you think it would still apply to Windows 10 in 2019?

should still work. not much has really changed with Windows Explorer since the Vista days; really the biggest change has been the transition to the ribbon UI in 8; back-end has remained largely the same since Vista though :)