Reinstalling UEFI firmware on Surface Pro

IrfanL

Hi,

My experience with Surface Pro is getting worse and worse...

Yesterday my Surface Pro (5th Gen) received and installed a UEFI firmware update (Surface – Firmware – 234.2706.768.0) after 2 reboot and firmware flash process, the touch screen and pen stopped working.

I checked device manager and did not find any malfunctioning driver. Did uninstallation of all relevant firmware  and HID touch screen drivers and reinstalled them using Windows Update, to no result.

I want to attempt reinstalling / re-flashing of UEFI firmware, to me this caused the problem, but I could not figure out a way to force it. I was able to download current and older versions of all Firmware but applying/installing them to Firmware devices in Device Manager does not seem to trigger the on-boot flashing process.

Wondering if someone here knows of away to force reinstall of the firmware on Surface Pro.

DM_Screenshot_1.jpg

DM_Screenshot_2.jpg

goretsky

Hello,

It looks like it is a somewhat convoluted process, but an article at

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2014/10/19/how-to-update-the-surface-pro-3-firmware-offline-using-a-usb-drive/

outlines the process for creating USB firmware installation media for the third-generation Surface Pro.  Perhaps the process is similar for yours?

Failing that, I would suggest making an appointment with the nearest Microsoft Store to have it repaired.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
IrfanL

Just wanted to drop an update on this case.

I tried pushing the old and current firmware using WinPE bootable flash drive method (as explained in the article above) but was not successful. This is not to say the method does not work, it works but there are built-in checks in place with boot loader and UEFI update module which actually stops old firmware to be pushed on better version firmware. You can manually change the version (make it newer version then what is already installed) in the INF file for the old firmware driver and install it. At next reboot Windows boot loader will start pushing the firmware update capsule to UEFI. But when UEFI updater will start the update process it will fails with Last Attempt Status 0xC0000058, which is related to version mismatch. Unless someone can open and change the version in update capsule files (the .bin or .cat files in the driver pack) it is not possible. (Ref: Windows UEFI firmware update platform )

Anyhow, I took it back to repair shop which actually did my battery replacement, thinking I will have another US$ 200+ bill. But the guy wanted to experiment and we opened it up again. Inspected and cleaned the connectors and ribbon cables and re-seated the display and it started to work fine. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
Brandon H

glad you got it working; the ribbon must have partially come loose or maybe there was some dust on the connectors or something then. props to that repair person for checking on something like that :beer:

• 1 year later...
rainyman1984
On 8/22/2019 at 5:37 AM, IrfanL said:

Just wanted to drop an update on this case.

I tried pushing the old and current firmware using WinPE bootable flash drive method (as explained in the article above) but was not successful. This is not to say the method does not work, it works but there are built-in checks in place with boot loader and UEFI update module which actually stops old firmware to be pushed on better version firmware. You can manually change the version (make it newer version then what is already installed) in the INF file for the old firmware driver and install it. At next reboot Windows boot loader will start pushing the firmware update capsule to UEFI. But when UEFI updater will start the update process it will fails with Last Attempt Status 0xC0000058, which is related to version mismatch. Unless someone can open and change the version in update capsule files (the .bin or .cat files in the driver pack) it is not possible. (Ref: Windows UEFI firmware update platform )

Anyhow, I took it back to repair shop which actually did my battery replacement, thinking I will have another US$ 200+ bill. But the guy wanted to experiment and we opened it up again. Inspected and cleaned the connectors and ribbon cables and re-seated the display and it started to work fine. 🤷‍♂️

Hi, I am having almost same problem with my surface book, touch screen stopped working since an update in Jan 2018 and now I see a yellow exclamation mark on Touch Firmware. I saw your post and managed to detach the screen.  Do you remember which cables/ribbon cables he cleaned? And btw did he tear it down completely or he did it without opening up all the screws? Really appreciate your help!

surface book.jpg

• 7 months later...
kamojamo

Hi there,

I'm new and inexperienced but I've had exactly the same issue and I find it difficult to believe that this can spontaneously die overnight on a $3000+ device.

If this helps, the standard Microsoft support team on the phone don't seem to be aware of a fix for this issue. Despite explaining the processes I've been through they painfully (and in broken english) had me re-install drivers, uninstall drivers, etc.

Apparently some people have had the screen still working in UEFI mode (when booting with volume + and power button pushed together) but I'm guessing you don't have that issue either?

They decided the only option is to pay $700+ to replace the device - essentially paying them to send me some old stock that's probably still way above what it costs them to make and is 2/3 models obsolete.

Were there any solutions on this end?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By anmol112
      Microsoft Azure icon gets a Fluent Design makeover
      by Anmol Mehrotra

In a blog post, Microsoft unveiled a new icon for its Azure cloud service. The icon is based on Microsoft’s Fluent Design System that debuted back in 2017.

Microsoft has noted that the new icon will be available across all the Azure services as well as on the website in the coming weeks. The company also highlighted that the new icon represents “unity of Azure within the larger Microsoft family of product icons” and is carefully crafted to look familiar to “what customers know and love” while representing the future of the service.

Microsoft Azure is not the first service to get a Fluent Design makeover. Back in 2018, Microsoft started rolling out Fluent Design elements for Office apps and in 2019, the company unveiled new icons for its services including Windows. Since then, the company has been hard at work to update all of its services with the new Fluent Design System.

As usual, the new icon for Azure services will roll out in the coming weeks and Microsoft will allow users to chip in and share their thoughts. If you are interested in sharing suggestions or criticism with Microsoft, then you can do so using the feedback form.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft Edge bug causing crashes when viewing YouTube videos, fix in the works
      by Abhay Venkatesh

If you have been facing issues with streaming YouTube videos on Microsoft Edge, you may not be alone. Reports have been pouring in about users facing constant browser crashes when streaming videos on YouTube. Reddit threads detailing the issue (spotted by Techdows) date back to 15 days ago, with more users running stable version 90 builds seemingly starting to be plagued in the recent days.

A response from a Microsoft engineer in the forums two weeks ago urged users to try disabling hardware acceleration as a workaround. However, the same engineer confirmed yesterday on Reddit that the bug is likely more significant and that there are a “couple of situations around this”. The individual added that those facing browser crashes can try downloading and running the latest Canary builds to check if their issues have been addressed via the bug fix that’s implemented in that version of the browser. Additionally, the company is also requesting feedback and crash reports from those that have been affected.

To be clear, the Redmond firm has been tracking issues with YouTube playback caused by some ad blocking extensions in the Dev channel builds. However, the mentioned problem reported by users seems to be a different one, where YouTube begins loading the video in full-screen and then freezes the browser, often causing a crash. One of the workarounds mentioned in the posts was to head to the browser’s task manager (by hitting shift+esc) and ending the task that is consuming the most resources. However, this workaround too has been a hit and miss.

With a partial fix already heading to Canary channel builds, it wouldn’t be surprising to see it propagate through the Dev and Beta channels quickly before eventually being introduced to the stable channel. However, those interested can head to the Insider downloads page here and download Edge Canary.

• By anmol112
      Microsoft releases firmware updates for a bunch of Surface devices
      by Anmol Mehrotra

Microsoft has released a slew of firmware updates for multiple Surface devices including Pro 4, Surface Studio, Laptop 1,2, and 4. The new updates include the usual stability improvements and also addresses various security issues.

First up, the Surface Pro 4 received a new firmware update after almost a year of no updates. The update addresses the Asset tag versioning issue and brings general stability improvements. You can check out the full changelog for the update below:

Windows Update HistoryName Device Manager Name Version and Update Surface – Firmware – 109.3681.768.0 Surface UEFI - Firmware 109.3681.768.0

Addresses security updates, improves system stability, as well as resolving the Asset tag versioning issue. Surface - Firmware - 11.8.82.3838 Surface ME - Firmware

Addresses security updates and improves system stability. Intel – System – 2040.100.0.1029 Intel(R) Management Engine Interface – System 2040.100.0.1029

Addresses security updates and improves system stability. Intel – Software Component - 1.62.321.1 Intel(R) ICLS Client - Software devices 1.62.321.1

Addresses security updates and improves system stability. Surface – Extension - 1952.14.0.1470 Intel iCLS Client Extension 1952.14.0.1470

Addresses security updates and improves system stability. Next up are the first-generation and second-generation Surface Laptops. Both the devices are receiving the same UFEI firmware update that improves the overall device stability. You can check out the changelog for the same below:

Windows Update History Name Device Manager Name Version and Update Surface – Firmware - 138.3681.768.0 Surface UEFI – Firmware

Improves device stability. Moving on, Microsoft has also released firmware updates for the first-generation Surface Studio. The new update addresses the Asset tag versioning issue and brings along the usual crop of general stability improvements. Here is the full list of changes:

Windows Update History Name Device Manager Name Version and Update Surface – Firmware – 119.3681.768.0 Surface UEFI - Firmware 119.3681.768.0

Addresses security updates, as well as resolving the Asset tag versioning issue. Surface - Firmware - 11.8.82.3838 Surface ME - Firmware 11.8.82.3838

Addresses security updates and improves system stability. Intel – System – 2040.100.0.1029 Intel(R) Management Engine Interface – System 2040.100.0.1029

Addresses security updates and improves system stability. Intel – Software Component - 1.62.321.1 Intel(R) ICLS Client - Software devices 1.62.321.1

Addresses security updates and improves system stability. Surface – Extension - 1952.14.0.1470 Intel iCLS Client Extension 1952.14.0.1470

Addresses security updates and improves system stability. Lastly, Microsoft is also rolling out a set of firmware updates for Surface Laptop 4 models running Intel processors. The update includes stability improvements and addresses some critical vulnerabilities in the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth modules. They also bring enhancements to the integrated Iris Xe graphics. You can check out the full list of changes below:

Windows Update History Name Device Manager Name Version and Update

Surface - Firmware - 10.5.141.0 Surface UEFI - Firmware 10.5.141.0

Improves stability and device reliability. Surface -Firmware - 4.36.139.0 Surface System Aggregator - Firmware 4.36.139.0

Improves stability and device reliability. Surface - Firmware - 61.0.1.26 Surface SMF - 15 Inch 61.0.1.26

Improves stability and device reliability. Surface - Firmware - 61.0.1.26 Surface SMF - 13 Inch 61.0.1.26

Improves stability and device reliability. Intel - Net - 22.30.0.11 Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz - Network adapters 22.30.0.11

Addresses critical security vulnerabilities and improves connection stability. Intel Corporation - Bluetooth - 22.30.0.4 Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth - Bluetooth 22.30.0.4

Addresses critical security vulnerabilities and improves connection stability. Intel Corporation – Display - 27.20.100.9268 Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics

Improves stability and device reliability. Intel Corporation – Extension - 27.20.100.9268 Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics Extn 27.20.100.9268

Improves graphics interoperability for the connected peripherals. As usual, the updates are rolling out in batches to Surface devices running Windows 10 May 2019 Update (version 1903) or newer. Considering that version 1903 has been out of support for a few months now, most devices should be on a newer version already. You can head to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and click on 'Check for Updates' to download the new firmware update.

• By Abhay V
      Windows 10X reportedly delayed indefinitely, focus to shift to Windows 10
      by Abhay Venkatesh

In what may be disappointing news for Windows fans, Microsoft is reportedly delaying the release of Windows 10X – its next-generation operating system – indefinitely. The report comes from Petri, citing information from those in the know of the matter.

Microsoft originally showed off Windows 10X in 2019 alongside the Surface Neo and Surface Duo. While the Surface Duo that was powered by Android made it to the market, the Neo was delayed and Windows 10X was repurposed for single-screened devices. A supposed near-final build of the modern OS even leaked and Microsoft was said to be readying the platform for release sometime this spring. That timeline moved once again to later in the fall this year, according to reports.

However, Petri reports that those plans have now changed, with Windows 10X now on the backburner. The company is reportedly moving resources back to Windows 10, which is expected to receive a major update codenamed Sun Valley later this year. As for 10X, there is no concrete information on if and when the OS will see the light of the day, and it is possible that the offering as we know it will never make it to users.

A few reasons for the decision, according to insiders, include the fact that the OS just was not ready. The firm reportedly believes that the “timing and market conditions” are not right and that the feedback from users, too, has not been as positive as it may have hoped to. While enthusiasts hoped to see 10X make it to new devices, marketing a brand-new OS on new devices, especially during the times of the pandemic that has seen the adoption of traditional Windows 10 PCs increase, might have been difficult. Add to the fact that at launch, the OS was said to lack support for traditional Win32 apps, which again might have worked against the offering.

Additionally, the report states that the company execs feel that Windows 10X doesn’t offer solutions that its customers want. Therefore, it makes sense for the Redmond giant to introduce certain features such as seamless updates and app containers to Windows 10 while working on a possible lightweight platform for release.

As it stands now, it is safe to assume that Windows 10X as we know it is dead and so are plans to introduce a lightweight Chromebook competitor OS. It is not clear if the company will publicly announce the plans that it has for Windows 10, including the visual overhaul and new Microsoft Store policies at its Build conference later this month. The report from Petri does state that the company will make “formal announcements” about the fate of the OS, so it will be interesting to see what those are.

• By indospot
      Windows 10 build 21376 is now available with a new font and other improvements
      by João Carrasqueira

Following on last week's release of build 21370, Microsoft is sticking to a Thursday release for this week's Windows 10 build in the Dev channel, build 21376. Like the past few releases, this one is from the co_release branch, which would usually indicate that Microsoft may be getting ready to wrap up development on the next feature update for Windows 10.

This build is fairly light on news, but it does include a new Segoe UI Variable font, which is designed to scale better across different display sizes, specifically larger ones. The original Segoe UI font was designed to optimal at 9pt sizes, but this variant should adapt better to different displays.

Not every part of the UI will be using Segoe UI Variable right away, though, so you may not see changes in all elements of the OS.

Aside from that, the build mostly consists of smaller improvements, including a new icon for the Connect app. Here's what else is new:

The focus right now seems to be on bug fixes, and there's a lengthy list of them to look forward to in this build. Here's everything that's been fixed:

As Microsoft moves to focus on stability, the list of known issues keeps shrinking, and this time it's the smallest we've seen in quite a while. Here's what you need to be aware of before installing this one:

Since builds in the Dev channel are no longer tied to a specific Windows 10 feature update, it's hard to say when general users may be able to try out the improvements made in the past few builds. The next feature update, version 21H1, is a simple enablement package without much in the way of new features. We're expecting to see a more significant update in the second half of the year, though, and it could include some of these changes, but that remains to be seen.