• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Reinstalling UEFI firmware on Surface Pro

IrfanL    29
Posted (edited)

Hi,

My experience with Surface Pro is getting worse and worse...

Yesterday my Surface Pro (5th Gen) received and installed a UEFI firmware update (Surface – Firmware – 234.2706.768.0) after 2 reboot and firmware flash process, the touch screen and pen stopped working.

I checked device manager and did not find any malfunctioning driver. Did uninstallation of all relevant firmware  and HID touch screen drivers and reinstalled them using Windows Update, to no result.

I want to attempt reinstalling / re-flashing of UEFI firmware, to me this caused the problem, but I could not figure out a way to force it. I was able to download current and older versions of all Firmware but applying/installing them to Firmware devices in Device Manager does not seem to trigger the on-boot flashing process.

Wondering if someone here knows of away to force reinstall of the firmware on Surface Pro.

DM_Screenshot_1.jpg

DM_Screenshot_2.jpg

goretsky    1,017

Hello,

It looks like it is a somewhat convoluted process, but an article at

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2014/10/19/how-to-update-the-surface-pro-3-firmware-offline-using-a-usb-drive/

outlines the process for creating USB firmware installation media for the third-generation Surface Pro.  Perhaps the process is similar for yours?

Failing that, I would suggest making an appointment with the nearest Microsoft Store to have it repaired.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1