Monitoring VGA temps

Hi,

I have been monitoring my graphics cards temps and am confused as to what I see. First what is the nominal temp range for most cards?

I have 2 GTX 650 TI Boost cards in SLI mode. I know they are old and on a side not I am working on an upgrade but for now this.

At rest they both register around 40c but then when under stress one usually goes up to 65 and the other 73. If I disable SLI one goes to 80+ and the other stays at 40.

I am worried that with the high temps in the air these days they may fail. As it is I use EVGA's XOC software to boost fan speeds but that never seems to help. Does it sound like I have failing fans or are those temps ok?

Hi, I got them when they first came out about 5-6 years ago. I am suspicious of the fan on one of them as it's been creaking a lot lately and the temps are a bit high on that one. I want to switch to a single card anyway and after a lot of research I have one in mind.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1267-KR

I found some good reading.

https://www.wepc.com/tips/optimal-cpu-gpu-temperature-gaming/

They even tell me the high before shutting down or failing for my particular card, verified by Nvidia:

GTX 650, and GTX 650 Ti 206.6°F 97°C

It looks like 74c is the highest I've seen so far on my cards.

Edited by devnulllore

Looks like I spoke too soon. Ran Neverwinter and it ran fine and cool not topping 65 but when I ran Shroud of the Avatar I hit 93 on the one with the bad fan. I think it's time to upgrade.

Is it possible to under-clock this card to see if I can get it to run cooler? It seems to only jump over 73c while playing  Shroud of the Avatar even with all the graphics turned down. 

15 hours ago, HussamT said:

Underclocking should help with about 10 degrees but it's not an alternative. Get fan replacement for the overheating one as soon as you can. If it keeps reaching the 90s, it'll die soon. Check local computer repair shops. You may just find a similar fan.

5 years means the cards are actually good quality.

If you are looking for a new card, the 1050ti and 1650 use only 75Watts.

Thanks. I have to tell you I am disabled and in no condition to replace fans on a video card or otherwise. That's why I was looking at this

For speed and scalability. It is also just at my  price range. I also read it runs quite cool with the dual fan system.

BUT about the under-clocking, how does one do it? I can use Afterburner or more to my liking EVGA OCX

1 hour ago, devnulllore said:

Thanks. I have to tell you I am disabled and in no condition to replace fans on a video card or otherwise. That's why I was looking at this

For speed and scalability. It is also just at my  price range. I also read it runs quite cool with the dual fan system.

BUT about the under-clocking, how does one do it? I can use Afterburner or more to my liking EVGA OCX

Don't bother with it.  Just buy your new 1660... Be  happy! :D

SLI is dead.  This is coming from an SLI user :(

Currently I have 2x 1070 in SLI, so many games either don't support it or you have to bend over backwards to force them to work.

Get the most expensive card you can afford.

44 minutes ago, HussamT said:

I'm not sure how to underclock on Windows. I've only done so on Linux. A google search should help.

The 1660Ti is an excellent card. If you managed to get the 650Ti to last 5 years, the 1660Ti will last you at least a decade. Just make sure your PSU can handle the increased power requirements.

Speaking of SLI, it is an old technology that NVIDIA inherited when it acquired 3dfx interactive. It is less worth the effort these days unless there are special requirements.

I have a Corsair TI 850 PSU. Should do the trick.

As for SLI it was a big thing 6 years ago so I went with it. It's been more of a thorn in my side than anything else. I have not noticed any performance boost and games like Shroud of the Avatar won't run properly with it enabled. Right now I have it enabled to share the load and keep the temps down a bit. Seem top help with Neverwinter and such.

3 hours ago, devnulllore said:

Thanks. I have to tell you I am disabled and in no condition to replace fans on a video card or otherwise.

Ah, sorry to hear that. I was going to suggest replacing the thermal paste between the heatsink and fans, and having the whole thing dusted out, you'd be surprised what a little maintenance can do, especially the thermal paste, it goes hard and useless after so many hot and cold cycles, and doesn't transfer heat effectively, also stock paste usually isn't the best, unlike Arctic Silver which I swear by. If dust is caked on the heatsink between the sink and fans it blocks airflow, raising temperatures.

Could you have a computer shop do this service? They shouldn't charge too much. If you were local to me in the UK I'd do it for £10 and come out to you, but you're in Texas!

I will contact a reputable shop near me. I am in Fall River, MA and there is a good place in RI right near me

2 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

I will contact a reputable shop near me. I am in Fall River, MA and there is a good place in RI right near me

Nice, I hope you get it sorted. Take care :)

1 minute ago, Tidosho said:

Nice, I hope you get it sorted. Take care :)

Well that was a fast conversation. They said they will do it but the cost would be more than a new card. I told them I had about $300 to spend and they said the time it would take them would be cost prohibitive.

1 minute ago, devnulllore said:

Well that was a fast conversation. They said they will do it but the cost would be more than a new card. I told them I had about $300 to spend and they said the time it would take them would be cost prohibitive.

What??? It's a 10 minute job!!!

1 minute ago, devnulllore said:

I know I just don't think they want to do such a thing

Not much of an IT operation then! No job is too small for me but a plane ticket to you is DEFINITELY cost prohibitive :p