Router gone bad?

1 hour ago, sc302 said:

FWIW, my monthly download usage is over 1000GB, I am at 1.5TB per month about.  Imagine doing that on anything under 100Mb/s.

Exactly!!!

Here are my internet totals... How could I move such data on a 5mbps connection?? ;)

totals.thumb.png.41426bef5154a37cfd8f0332dd741575.png

###### a few people streaming my plex and doing 30mbps up for hours...   You not actually using the internet, doesn't mean others are not... You might be happy with your dial up speeds and your 802.11g wifi... To others its like the freaking stone age.. I would pull all my hair out having to deal with such a slow connection.   It would be physically painful to me ;)

And gig local is min speeds these days... Can you even still buy a 10/100 switch?  Other than a 2nd hand store?  Why would anyone use it - its junk, throw it in the trash... It is eol, maybe ship it to some 3rd world country where the village super computer is a pi4.

As a "hobby" you getting 20 year old tech to work - sure cool and fun... But you can not honestly think the speeds are viable for modern day use..

8 hours ago, sc302 said:

Not really...but if you don't see it then you don't see it.

I am surprised you would even question that as look at it this way...

take a typical person and give them a 13" black-and-white TV and my 400KB/s internet line. which do you think they would have a much tougher time tolerating? ; it's pretty safe to say they would find the 13" TV far more intolerable. hence, my general point in that my internet line is not THAT bad.

so given that info I think a more proper comparison would be more along the lines of dial-up or a really slow DSL speed would be more of a true equivalent to that 13" TV example.

8 hours ago, sc302 said:

FWIW, my monthly download usage is over 1000GB, I am at 1.5TB per month about.

There is simply no way I would download that much even if I could download anything I want instantly.

I am sure I will almost always be less than 500GB a month for me personally even if I had the fastest internet on the planet. I would say on a typical month, to ball park it, I am probably around 100GB to maybe as much as 300GB. I could have checked my DD-WRT router for more info but lately I have been testing and don't have several months of use on it yet but from what I recall in the past my 100-300GB is probably pretty close.

8 hours ago, BudMan said:

Dude why do you keep using B... That is Bytes... Nobody states speed in Bytes... Its bits... 400KBps would 3.2Mbits per second.

You would not state your speed as 0.4MBps 

So what speed do you have exactly?  Post a screenshot of speed test so we are clear what speed your on..

I say KB/s and MB/s because that's the way real downloads work in browsers and other programs. those kbps/mbps etc is just confusing which is why I don't use it since you got to divide those figures by 8 to get real numbers that make sense (i.e. KB/s and MB/s) in web browsers and torrents etc.

so with that said... my actual max download speed is basically 400-420KB/s (or about 0.4MB/s). this is not difficult to understand. even doing that speedtest website it's like I thought it would be... 3.26Mbps which you divide by 8 comes out to 407.5KB/s which is about what I was saying with 400-420KB/s.

so your 536.46Mbps you should be floating around 67MB/s (maybe a bit less), which is pretty damn fast ;)

3 hours ago, ThaCrip said:

I am surprised you would even question that as look at it this way...

take a typical person and give them a 13" black-and-white TV and my 400KB/s internet line. which do you think they would have a much tougher time tolerating? ; it's pretty safe to say they would find the 13" TV far more intolerable. hence, my general point in that my internet line is not THAT bad.

so given that info I think a more proper comparison would be more along the lines of dial-up or a really slow DSL speed would be more of a true equivalent to that 13" TV example.

See, being spoiled with faster internet, it is intolerable to me to go slower.  Much like color tv wasn’t much of a thing at first and people who didn’t have it could go without.  It is kind of like chocolate, if you never had it you never know what you are missing and would never want it or crave for it.  Once you had it, you want to get it again.  Imagine if sweets were completely removed from your life, you don’t need it but you like to have it on occasion.  Internet is kid of the same way, you don’t always consume it but it is really beneficial when it is there.  Some of us are more internet fat than others.  But to say we don’t need it, our demands are different.  I don’t have cable tv and have a family that watches Netflix and other streaming sources.  They usually have it in the background when they are doing other things (white noise kind of thing) it doesn’t cost much extra to do and they enjoy it.  When I sit down to consume understand I am a network/computer geek, my trade is networking and systems design/implementation so I tend to do things. Sometimes I even bring home a machine to update for friends/family or clean up.  You can imagine gb on gb of updates that have to occur on older machines that aren’t cared for. 

7 hours ago, ThaCrip said:

so with that said... my actual max download speed is basically 400-420KB/s (or about 0.4MB/s). this is not difficult to understand. even doing that speedtest website it's like I thought it would be... 3.26Mbps which you divide by 8 comes out to 407.5KB/s which is about what I was saying with 400-420KB/s.

I understand it.. But it is not common to show 400KB vs 3.2mbps.. Its NOT... You always use the number that shows it in the higher Range.. You use Bytes when talking about size of something or how much data your moving per second.. Or how much data you moved.. When you talk about speed of interface in this day and age mbps is the standard used, not KBytes..

Speed of a line is not given in KBs, its given in MBs - the problem is many users misuse the B and b... B is for Bytes, b is for bits.. See it all the time where people say they have a X MB connection when they really mean Mb..  Or they use KB vs Kb...

If you have a 400KB connection, you would say you have a 3.2Mbps connection..

Is the speed of an interface given in Mbps or KBps on its spec sheet ;)

And yeah when downloading from internet - I see 60+ MBps ;)

download.thumb.jpg.8d94bc5e1900a886fee3a967f7b15593.jpg

Depending - could be higher.. Here grabbing 7GB worth of stuff..

depending.thumb.jpg.a28977bda42b16a6e47512f42651af1b.jpg

If on your connection, I could come back tmrw to see if done ;)  With an actual viable connection is minutes not hours to move this amount of data.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I figured I would make another post... basically my WRT54GS v1.1 router lost it's uptime after about 7 days and a 2-3 hours or so with FreshTomato 2020.1 on it. but ill likely stick with it at this point simply because while DD-WRT r41686 (Dec 10th 2019) does not seem to have the uptime reset issue that FreshTomato 2020.1 does on my router, DD-WRT seems to have a WAN DHCP renewal bug in that it does not auto-renew (as the WAN DHCP timer reaches "0 days 00:00:00" instead of auto-renewing like it should) . older versions of DD-WRT will work but I would rather avoid using ancient firmware at this point in time.

so while FreshTomato has the uptime issue, I can't say I notice any obvious issues with it short of that as even when the router uptime reset, it did not seem to interfere with any programs I had running connected to the internet etc. because if I was not monitoring the uptime, I doubt I would have even noticed it lost it's uptime to begin with.

I might try playing with some stuff to see if I can find a way around it (like maybe disable the routers ad-filtering (which is disabled by default) or try another power supply etc) but I suspect it's just something ill deal with as that uptime issue does not seem to be a show stopper (although ill lose being able to view the routers data downloaded/uploaded as the weeks/months pass) and the router pretty much works 'well enough'. but if I find out anything that makes FreshTomato not lose it's uptime ill probably make another post here.

but one last thing... since FreshTomato 2020.1 does not offer overclocking in it's interface like DD-WRT does I found a way to overclock my WRT54GS v1.1 through telnet (i.e. 'telnet 192.168.1.1' and enter routers username/password and then manually type in each command below hitting the enter key after each line) so FreshTomato accepts it...

nvram set debug_clkfix=0
nvram set clkfreq=240
nvram commit
reboot

but in short... like I mentioned in a earlier post, 240Mhz is stable unlike the next highest option which is 252Mhz. so I just stick to 240Mhz MAX as a general rule for this WRT54GS v1.1 router when it comes to overclocking.

p.s. from what others have said, it appears the WRT54GL routers don't have the uptime issue that the WRT54GS model does.