IBM Thinkpad T42 series and Windows 10

Hello, and sorry for reviving an old thread, but there are comments here about the IBM Thinkpad T42 series apparently running Windows 10. I have an old T42p and am trying to install Windows 10 however it fails to even boot with the installer.

Error 0xc0000269 is given stating "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. This Operating System uses Physical Address Extension feature to support systems with more than 4GB Ram. You will need to use a PC with a compatible processor to run the Operating System."  I have looked through the BIOS settings but do not see anything pertaining to this to try changing.

Hoping perhaps someone that has done this before on this or similar hardware may be able to help.

//split from 

//created new topic.

Are you trying to install 32 bit Windows 10?  I'm fairly sure you can not install Windows 10 64 bit on that computer.

Edit:  Actually if you have a Dothan processor (which I believe you do) ... you are sorta outta luck.

Hello and thank you for your reply.

Yes, I've been trying to install the 32 bit version.

I think you are correct: According to the wikipedia page on Pentium M (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_M), the only 1.80GHz discussed there is the Dothan version (and that is the speed shown for mine in the BIOS). Interestingly, it indicates that the 1.8GHz processor is one of the early versions and that later Dothan versions were released where PAE support "was enabled, unlike earlier Pentium Ms that had it disabled". Perhaps there are some Thinkpad T42p models out there with a newer version processor? I'm assuming at this point that there is nothing I can do about this, and as you indicate, I am out of luck with this model.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers.

13 hours ago, palmtree953 said:

Hello, and sorry for reviving an old thread, but there are comments here about the IBM Thinkpad T42 series apparently running Windows 10. I have an old T42p and am trying to install Windows 10 however it fails to even boot with the installer.

Error 0xc0000269 is given stating "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. This Operating System uses Physical Address Extension feature to support systems with more than 4GB Ram. You will need to use a PC with a compatible processor to run the Operating System."  I have looked through the BIOS settings but do not see anything pertaining to this to try changing.

Hoping perhaps someone that has done this before on this or similar hardware may be able to help.

I wouldn't recommend it in any case, 2GB is a serious limitation nowadays.

That said, the GPU does not seem to be properly working on Linux, with X falling back on Mesa's SoftPipe for me (so no 3D acceleration).