• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

To build or buy a new PC? [UK]*

+BudMan    3,534
1 hour ago, Technique said:

So it's as you were - still the same card i had from day 1.

I was not on card from day one... The card I replaced was an updated card for sure... But nothing last forever.  I had picked up that card back a few years ago for 99$ ;)  Replaced with slight better card than it was for less than half of that price.. Crazy how cheap computer stuff gets after a couple of years..

Why you can for sure build a pretty nice box yourself, as long as you say use year or so old tech.. But if you want current - going to be toss up.. If you don't even know what m.2 or nvme is - you might as well just go to the store and pick up whatever is on sale.

Technique    36
2 hours ago, BudMan said:

I was not on card from day one... The card I replaced was an updated card for sure... But nothing last forever.  I had picked up that card back a few years ago for 99$ ;)  Replaced with slight better card than it was for less than half of that price.. Crazy how cheap computer stuff gets after a couple of years..

Why you can for sure build a pretty nice box yourself, as long as you say use year or so old tech.. But if you want current - going to be toss up.. If you don't even know what m.2 or nvme is - you might as well just go to the store and pick up whatever is on sale.

Breakdown in expressions for that misunderstanding i think. Don't worry about it - my wife is from a different part of the UK & even now 16 years in we can catch each other out with expressions that the other person hasn't heard of before.

When i said it's as you were i meant that i'm in the position that i was in before i bought the busted card.

+BudMan    3,534

M.2 and NVME are not slang terms or colloquial terms from a different region.. Its not like soda vs pop ;) or bob's your uncle.

They have been around for years on something that you seem to be interested in, ie computers..  Since your asking if you should buy or build your own ;)

Not like brought up 802.11ax or ay or anything... you can not google for more then like 30 seconds about SSDs without those terms coming up.

• Like 1

Peresvet    177
21 hours ago, BudMan said:

What does the mother board have for other stuff?  How many sata ports, does it have usb 3.1, how many slots, how many bays, etc. how many nics?  How much ram can you put in?  Stuff like that can be a big factor.

Have you done any research on that video card when it comes to transcoding, to support your new plex habit ;)  Quick google that gtx 970 might be only to do hevc 8 bit..  And does some sort of cpu+gpu hybrid transcoding?

I know you just put that up as an example... But its missing a lot of info that would help you decide to be honest.  Is that 500GB drive nvme m.2?  Or normal sata interface?

And last, but not least: what kind of a chipset does that mobo sport and how many PCIe lanes does it have?