Event Viewer warning: Disk 3 has been surprise removed

I do not know even where to start with this, I throughout the day here the sound windows makes when a device is disconnected, but never could trace it. Today I checked the event viewer and see warning: Disk 3 surprise removed. Disk 3 happens to be an external USB HDD (Samsung), and I have checked all the power management settings to ensure that it is not power management that is causing the issue, and USB selective suspend is disabled in power management. I do not know what else to check, the drive it's self is always visible in explorer, so it must disconnect and reconnect. What else should I look into? Thanks!

Look into device manager, see if it is listed there. Might be an option somewhere in there.

Also, you might want to check SMART data on that external drive.

Either that, or the controiller on your external is going bad, loosing connection.

I did check device manager, there is no power settings. SMART is showing the drive is fine, so perhaps the controller is going bad?

I have all those, and I will check them, I just was more interested in what the meaning and possible reasoning for the error message

10 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I have all those, and I will check them, I just was more interested in what the meaning and possible reasoning for the error message

Could very well be... Try a different external if possible.

14 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I just was more interested in what the meaning and possible reasoning for the error message

What does this error mean?

The PNP manager does what is called enumerations.  An enumeration is a request sent to a driver that controls a bus, such as PCI, to take an inventory of devices on the bus and report back a list of the devices.  The SCSI bus is enumerated in a similar manner, as are devices on the IDE bus.

These enumerations can happen for a number of reasons.  For example, hardware can request an enumeration when it detects a change in configuration.  Also a user can initiate an enumeration by selecting “scan for new devices” in device manager.  

When an enumeration request is received, the bus driver will rescan the bus for all devices.  It will issue commands to the existing devices as though it was looking for new ones.  If these commands fail on an existing unit, the driver will mark the device as “missing”.  When the device is marked “missing”, it will not be reported back to PNP in the inventory.  When PNP determines that the device is not in the inventory it will send a surprise removal request to the bus driver so the bus driver can remove the device object.

Since the CLASSPNP driver sits in the device stack and receives requests that are destined for disks, it sees the surprise removal request and logs an event if the disk is supposed to be non-removable.  An example of a non-removable disk is a hard drive on a SCSI or IDE bus.  An example of a removable disk is a USB thumb drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello,

Have you tried using a different USB cable with the external drive?  If so, did that make any difference?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky