• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Message Signaled Interrupts (MSI) Question

Recommended Posts

jesseinsf    83

Is it true that MSI mode is not really needed if the IRQ for the device is NOT shared by another device (Meaning the device has its own dedicated IRQ)? If this is true then it explains why my video card has MSI mode turned off when it has its own IRQ and turned on when it is sharing the IRQ with other devices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jesseinsf    83

I found this out by moving my sound card from PCIe slot to PCIe slot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    2,121

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jesseinsf    83
1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

I don't need to jump to conclusions and to be polite, you would be referring to sarcasm would you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat    1,302

MSI hasn't been much of a thing in a while (MSI-X was introduced in 2004 or something?) so generally just leave that crap alone unless you have really old hardware.

 

Plug and play usually does its job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jesseinsf    83

I'm trying to prove a point with these A**'s over in the Creative Reddit forum. They really pray to the Message Signaled Interrupts as if it is the god that fixes all latencies and audio dropouts (Which is not the case). What is causing the issues they so dearly complain about is UEFI firmware that is poorly written. Actually it is the fault of 3: Microsoft, Driver makers and UEFI firmware makers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat    1,302
38 minutes ago, jesseinsf said:

I'm trying to prove a point with these A**'s over in the Creative Reddit forum. They really pray to the Message Signaled Interrupts as if it is the god that fixes all latencies and audio dropouts (Which is not the case). What is causing the issues they so dearly complain about is UEFI firmware that is poorly written. Actually it is the fault of 3: Microsoft, Driver makers and UEFI firmware makers.

Funny, cause Microsoft already fixed it.  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/audio/low-latency-audio

 

Obviously they can't control the other two issues, or the software people use that uses ancient audio paths.

Edited by LostCat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
goretsky    1,049

Hello,

 

Creative Labs' SoundBlaster cards were somewhat persnickety on ISA and PCI buses, so I don't necessarily know if I would blame current problems on PCIe bus engineering issues.  That said, there are not a lot of players left in the discrete sound card space (ASUS and EVGA come to mind), so options are limited if you want to do/use something beyond the capabilities of most on-board audio subsystems.  My primary desktop system is an EVGA Z370 Classified K which features "Creative's Sound Core 3D Audio" that I believe is the same as the Recon 3Di and hasn't worked for the last couple of versions of Windows due to its drivers not being updated to fix architectural issues that cropped up.  So, I am definitely sympathetic to anyone trying to troubleshoot issues with Creative Labs sound cards.

 

One of the things I noticed being given as a kind of universal panacea over in the subreddit was the installation of some kind of modded driver pack.  I don't know if that is the case that it will help, but it definitely does say something if their customers have to rely on homebrewed device driver support because the company can't be bothered to update its Windows drivers.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jesseinsf    83
46 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

 

Creative Labs' SoundBlaster cards were somewhat persnickety on ISA and PCI buses, so I don't necessarily know if I would blame current problems on PCIe bus engineering issues.  That said, there are not a lot of players left in the discrete sound card space (ASUS and EVGA come to mind), so options are limited if you want to do/use something beyond the capabilities of most on-board audio subsystems.  My primary desktop system is an EVGA Z370 Classified K which features "Creative's Sound Core 3D Audio" that I believe is the same as the Recon 3Di and hasn't worked for the last couple of versions of Windows due to its drivers not being updated to fix architectural issues that cropped up.  So, I am definitely sympathetic to anyone trying to troubleshoot issues with Creative Labs sound cards.

 

One of the things I noticed being given as a kind of universal panacea over in the subreddit was the installation of some kind of modded driver pack.  I don't know if that is the case that it will help, but it definitely does say something if their customers have to rely on homebrewed device driver support because the company can't be bothered to update its Windows drivers.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

I actually have the following:

*Asus Maximus XI extreme motherboard (Z390)

*with the Sound Blaster AE-9 pcie sound card.

*Intel Core i9 9900k

*32Gb RAM.

*Samsung 970 Pro NVMe 1Tb

_______

I've come to the conclusion that it's A UEFI Firmware issue that can be fixed through an update, but creative needs to work closely with the motherboard makers to fix the audio dropout issue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,105
On 9/28/2019 at 5:11 PM, jesseinsf said:

I don't need to jump to conclusions and to be polite, you would be referring to sarcasm would you?

It’s over his head so he is belittling instead of helping. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.