Is there any way of remote handling your unix files like a local folder on a Windows Machine?

Hello!

I'm learning about Linux System Administration.
I have a Ubuntu 16.04 Server LTS, there's no GUI (I don't need one anyway) and I'm handling everything from a terminal and because I have to do "file hunting" and handling, for me terminal is not speedy enough.

For example let's say I want to configure my Bind9 DNS settings, the main configurations are:
```
/etc/bind/named.conf
/etc/bind/named.conf.options
/etc/bind/named.conf.local
```

so I'll have to do:

```
nano /etc/bind/named.conf
nano /etc/bind/named.conf.options
nano /etc/bind/named.conf.local
```
as long as I am logged in as root, if not logged in as root I'll have to use sudo as well.

and I've been thinking wouldn't it be nice, if there was any way to have remote access to all of my files in server?

For example:
I would like to use my Windows Machine and Visual Studio Code and treating those Linux files like they are a folder on my C:\ 

Is it possible?

You can mount a share from linux with your fav file sharing protocol, smb, nfs

Be careful with editing linux files in windows though..  What editor you going to be using?  Windows has its own format for text file and you could screw them up ;)

If your learning about linux, I would use linux via term vs mounting the linux and editing with your windows tools though.. You should prob be using vi vs nano as well ;)

you could install a SSH/SCP server so then you could use WinSCP to connect with editing privileges.

This is how I edit configs that don't have a luci app on my router running OpenWRT :)

3 hours ago, BudMan said:

If your learning about linux, I would use linux via term vs mounting the linux and editing with your windows tools though.. You should prob be using vi vs nano as well ;)

yeah nano is alright as an editor but VI (and VIM by extension) is king for terminal editors (Y)

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

you could install a SSH/SCP server so then you could use WinSCP to connect with editing privileges.

This is how I edit configs that don't have a luci app on my router running OpenWRT :)

yeah nano is alright as an editor but VI (and VIM by extension) is king for terminal editors (Y)

This is how I would do it as well. Pretty handy with my custom openwrt builds.