where are the drone geeks of neowin?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 4:30 PM, sc302 said:

Still flying your dJI or have you moved on to something else?

I still have my mavic pro platinum and spark. I have as well an autel evo and a racing quad. Do you fly drones?

On 10/2/2019 at 4:44 PM, neufuse said:

I completely misread the title... I thought this was going to be about geeks who are drones for something 😂

I may have choose the wrong title... lol. Do you fly drones?

41 minutes ago, macoman said:

I still have my mavic pro platinum and spark. I have as well an autel evo and a racing quad. Do you fly drones?

Not in a while.  I remember you were very afraid to fly up because of how much it was and you didn’t want to crash it.  You were dealing with crappy drones that were subpar to the dji as a novice.  Glad to see that you bought a few others and understand how to fly them now and it seems that you might even understand how they work (at least enough to repair) if you are racing them.    Congrats. 

I have a crappy one that I backed on Kickstarter that I used to gauge my actual interest in drones. Just wanted to make sure there was genuine interest before dropping more money. 

I've been seeing lots of rumours about DJI releasing a Mavic Mini (supposedly next week), if they do, I think that I'd bite the bullet and get that one.

1 hour ago, Human.Online said:

Got myself a Mavic 2.  Unfortunately I went for the zoom and in hindsight should have gone with the pro.

the pro is only less than $200... I would go for the pro if have the money for it.

1 hour ago, macoman said:

nah, always wanted one but never spent the money... always wanted to do drone photography

8 minutes ago, neufuse said:

nah, always wanted one but never spent the money... always wanted to do drone photography

You don't need an expensive one to do drone photography... there are good camera drones for less than $200 dollars. The video quality is crap but the photography quality is much better.

31 minutes ago, macoman said:

the pro is only less than $200... I would go for the pro if have the money for it.

The Mavic 2 Pro is a lot more than $200!  It's about $1400

Here's the one I have: https://traxxas.com/products/landing/Aton/

I bought the version with a gimbal, which allows me to mount my GoPro.  I figured the DJI ones would have more advanced sensors and control, but I can't imagine their camera would beat a GoPro.  Plus I could buy the Traxxas + GoPro and it's still less than a Mavic.   Pretty solid deal for beginners like me.

1 hour ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

I can't imagine their camera would beat a GoPro

Mavic 2 Pro would be all over that GoPro.  DJI are not just a drone company, they are also an action camera company :)

27 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

Mavic 2 Pro would be all over that GoPro.  DJI are not just a drone company, they are also an action camera company :)

I'm not so sure about that. 😛  The GoPro appears to have much nicer colors and better detail.  Granted the DJI is pretty darn impressive for how small it is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jazmac said:

I fly a DJI Spark.

I have a spark as well but at 1080p the maximum resolution not good for me. I use the spark when I don't feel to go out and I can easily take off from my room's window without issues.

5 hours ago, Human.Online said:

The Mavic 2 Pro is a lot more than $200!  It's about $1400

Well, I was just comparing the mavic 2 zoom price vs mavic 2 pro price in the US.

• Like 1

Ultimately, I want to build my own drone. Do I count? :p

In my college days, we built one from scratch (used Aluminium tubes and sheet metal for the frame, ordered some costly parts from HobbyKing), Got it all set up nicely, but that thing never moved more than a few centimeters off the ground no matter how much we tried. An experience so bad that put me off building/using drones altogether.

However, with all the stuff going on in the drone space, I can't help but hop into it. I am looking at buying a nano drone to learn to fly the thing first. Unfortunately Traxxus doesn't ship to India and I am not interested in buying some cheap drones from China that has more of a chance of explode :p

Any good beginner drones to learn flying? Don't want to spend more than $100

1 hour ago, Tuskd said:

Ultimately, I want to build my own drone. Do I count? :p

In my college days, we built one from scratch (used Aluminium tubes and sheet metal for the frame, ordered some costly parts from HobbyKing), Got it all set up nicely, but that thing never moved more than a few centimeters off the ground no matter how much we tried. An experience so bad that put me off building/using drones altogether.

However, with all the stuff going on in the drone space, I can't help but hop into it. I am looking at buying a nano drone to learn to fly the thing first. Unfortunately Traxxus doesn't ship to India and I am not interested in buying some cheap drones from China that has more of a chance of explode :p

Any good beginner drones to learn flying? Don't want to spend more than $100

Eachine makes some pretty impressive low-cost drones.  https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-E58-WIFI-FPV-With-720P1080P-HD-Wide-Angle-Camera-High-Hold-Mode-Foldable-RC-Drone-Quadcopter-RTF-p-1212232.html?rmmds=search&ID=6233011531932563353&cur_warehouse=CN

They try pretty hard to knock-off DJI (obviously because they're Chinese), but you get a pretty good amount of bells and whistles for cheap.  The E58 was the first drone I ever flew and it was really solid.

I'm looking at this one as a starter.

• Like 2

On 10/21/2019 at 1:41 PM, dipsylalapo said:

I have a crappy one that I backed on Kickstarter that I used to gauge my actual interest in drones. Just wanted to make sure there was genuine interest before dropping more money. 

I've been seeing lots of rumours about DJI releasing a Mavic Mini (supposedly next week), if they do, I think that I'd bite the bullet and get that one.

Mavic Mini set to be announced on Weds - Link

I fly a Mavic Pro Platinum. I still have a great deal of fun with that little bugger. I wouldn't mind the larger sensor in the Pro 2 but for now I shoot perfectly fine 2.7K video.

It would be great for those that do use their drones regularly to post their footage/photos. 

Excited to get my hands on one.

• 5 weeks later...

I just received a Xiaomi Fimi X8 SE. I'm loving it so far. $499.00. After lots of research, I pulled the trigger. it has performed as advertised.  3 axis gimbal, all the bells and whistles in the Fimi Navi app.  Shoots in 4K /30FPS. Pictures and video are beautiful.  

• Like 2