Letter of the Week: Why I won't be buying Phantom

Just read this over at gi and thought it was cool,

What do u think??

Dear Mr. Fahey,

This Phantom business has finally gotten interesting - only to fall right on its face again.

I have nothing against Mr. Bachus, nor against the X-box or consoles in general. I am a PC gamer by choice, because I like tinkering with hardware and I appreciate the vast amounts of games available, and game genres to choose from, that exist in the PC realm.

I do acknowledge that console gaming has a few genres that are quite entertaining, and modern consoles are also quite good as far as visual quality is concerned. So I am not going to comment here on whether or not Infinium can actually make a good console - they might be able to, especially with someone like Mr. Bachus on board.

However, there is one thing that this article has said that raises my blood pressure : the word "subscription".

I know, I know, the Internet is supposed to become ubiquitous and all-encompassing. The future will have us all interconnected with terabytes of bandwidth. And to make it happen, someone has to start today.

Fine. I am not going to bash Infinium because they want to sell a pay-per-play service associated with a hardware kit. Their choice, their freedom.

My freedom is to choose not to buy into this gig. I prefer having my games on CD/DVD at home. I prefer not having to pay each time I want to play. And I do NOT want to risk putting my gaming money into a service that may no longer exist in the next three years.

Infinium is not the first on the pay service market. I believe the Live! service for XBox wants you to pay too, and you still have to buy your games. But, the games are YOURS. Microsoft can cut Live! if it wishes, it cannot keep you from playing at home.

All in all, call me retrograde if you wish, but the idea of property suits me well. And property is something you are supposed to be able to touch and use when YOU see fit, not when someone else decides to give you the opportunity.

I will oppose with my utmost strength anyone who will try to convince me to pay for something without giving me a tangible, material something in exchange. Especially when it comes to gaming.

Pascal.

That would **** me off. Lets say you spend $200+ dollors on the consle, and then have to pay whatever amount of money to play your games. Now lets say that they go broke in a year. You are now stuck with a box that has no games for it, and nobody wants it cause you can't do crap with it.

I think it sound like a winner to me :rolleyes:

Not sure if this has already been posted as news here, but has anyone read the article in latest Edge magazine about the Phantom? They are saying you can actually choose what hardware you want in it, that it will be upgradable (Edge itself can't figure how this will work). Apparently, you are stuck with the same motherboard (an nForce2 jobby) and an nvidia GPU, but the rest you can change. Yeah, okay. Also quoted was one of the guys from Infinitum saying, "It will come with up to 50 games already pre-installed on the hard drive".

Edge is a great, professional games magazine, and I think they were actually taking the P out of it just a bit. :)

I read the article and laughed. This whole thing is getting more and more stupid the longer it goes on. My bets are on it never seeing the light of day, after an unfortunate "lack of funds" to develop the actual thing. There are so many glaring questions about its functionality I'm surprised some people still believe in it...