usb drive install & boot?

6 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

depends on the Distro and what customizations are used; but yes at default they're fairly similar.

for instance on the XFCE front I love how Manjaro has things laid out and the "start menu" used.

I personally use ArcoLinux. It's based on Arch, but is not as heavy as Manjaro.

The owner has 100+ videos on how to do anything:

https://www.youtube.com/user/maclover696/videos

12 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I personally use ArcoLinux. It's based on Arch, but is not as heavy as Manjaro.

The owner has 100+ videos on how to do anything:

https://www.youtube.com/user/maclover696/videos

have not seen that Distro before; might need to throw it in a VM of my own to play around with it and compare with Manjaro

I wouldn't call Manjaro a heavy build so if this has good features and is even lighter then Manjaro then that's impressive :)

2 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

have not seen that Distro before; might need to throw it in a VM of my own to play around with it and compare with Manjaro

I wouldn't call Manjaro a heavy build so if this has good features and is even lighter then Manjaro then that's impressive :)

ArcoLinux uses XFCE by default. So it is "lighter" than cinnamon. It also just includes the essentials, not "everything". Like Libre Office and GIMP.

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

ArcoLinux uses XFCE by default. So it is "lighter" than cinnamon. It also just includes the essentials, not "everything". Like Libre Office and GIMP.

Manjaro is XFCE based as well; I think they have a cinnamon alternate build but XFCE is their default.

been a while since the laptop I had manjaro on died so I can't remember what default apps it came with so I'll load up a couple VMs later for personal comparison just for fun lol :)

my current laptop and desktop are full Windows 10 right now but I enjoy messing with Linux from time to time.

4 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Manjaro is XFCE based as well; I think they have a cinnamon alternate build but XFCE is their default.

been a while since the laptop I had manjaro on died so I can't remember what default apps it came with so I'll load up a couple VMs later for personal comparison just for fun lol :)

my current laptop and desktop are full Windows 10 right now but I enjoy messing with Linux from time to time.

I thought it ran cinnamon. /shrug

I have it running for a few months now. I learned a lot about arch since then. They have forums, Facebook page and Discord for any of your problems. All mine were resolved in a few days. ;)

(better than Arch Forums...)

edit: KDE has evolved quite a bit too but IMO it's still too busy; but a lot of people like it because it's windows like so you may like Kubuntu (Ubuntu but with KDE) as well.

That's the wonderful thing with KDE though. I've been using it since 2.x and I think its great how far you can customise it out of the box without having to install any third party applications. To be honest, KDE was far ahead of Windows many years ago and I would use it on Windows itself if it was possible. They did release KDE4 for Windows some years ago but it never really ran properly.

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

depends on the Distro and what customizations are used; but yes at default they're fairly similar.

for instance on the XFCE front I love how Manjaro has things laid out and the "start menu" used.

I'm in KDE Neon right now as I type this and I love it. I'm a big fan of all the superfluous visual effects. Wobbly windows, break-apart when closing, etc. I'm in 4K and everything seems scaled nicely except for Firefox.

Just now, patseguin said:

I'm in KDE Neon right now as I type this and I love it. I'm a big fan of all the superfluous visual effects. Wobbly windows, break-apart when closing, etc. I'm in 4K and everything seems scaled nicely except for Firefox.

Yeah KDE Neon is a good distro. You've got the more stable Ubuntu LTS base and the latest KDE version. If you go into KDE Settings > Display check that scaling is set as it should be there, I haven't had any issues with Firefox on KDE 5 on Kubuntu, openSUSE or Slackware current.

3 minutes ago, Vince800 said:

Yeah KDE Neon is a good distro. You've got the more stable Ubuntu LTS base and the latest KDE version. If you go into KDE Settings > Display check that scaling is set as it should be there, I haven't had any issues with Firefox on KDE 5 on Kubuntu, openSUSE or Slackware current.

Thanks, it was set to 1. I set it to 1.2. Not sure if I need to reboot or just close and re-open firefox. This OS is really cool.