Disable Catalina update (due to needing 32bit apps)

Hi,

I've been informed that all 32bit apps won't work on this update. I have a macbook air and some 32bit apps are essential.

1. Is this true? And no work around? Any know?

2. If true, how do I disable Catalina update and stop  macos bugging me about it every day?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:09 PM, tomp66 said:

Hi,

I've been informed that all 32bit apps won't work on this update. I have a macbook air and some 32bit apps are essential.

1. Is this true? And no work around? Any know?

2. If true, how do I disable Catalina update and stop  macos bugging me about it every day?

Thanks.

2. Start looking for replacements and deal with the notification?

• Like 1

Unchecked the "automatically keep my mac up to date" in system updates.

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 7.46.22 PM.png

There is a workaround. Stop using an OS from a company that doesn't care about legacy apps or even users for that matter, and switch over to an OS where even 10 year old hardware and software "just works".

• Like 1

You do understand that 32bit apps really need to die at some point right?  Why are we not still supporting 16bit apps?  From what I read

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

They gave plenty of warning for app makers to update to 64bit.   Not like they just disabled support without warning.. 

To be honest the the OP should of started looking for 64 bit versions of the software he wants to run when it was announced that 32bit would be dropped.. While not updating to current is a stop gap measure.. Its not a long term solution.. The solution is to use 64bit apps.. Even linux is moving away from 32bit and has been for long time.. You have to jump through some hoops to run old 32bit on current versions of linux as well.

Are we talking 1 app, 20 of them?  What are the specific apps?  The above article gives howto to find out what apps are only 32, etc.  Could you post these details - I am curious to why they have not been updated, is the maker of the app no longer around?