• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Hidden Photos & iCloud

Sean B.    171

Up until tonight I was under the impression that when you hide a photo from your camera roll it wasn't uploaded to iCloud, however after some research I've found that it is intended behavior.

I'm curious to know if anyone uses a app/service specifically for pictures/photos they don't want uploaded to the cloud. I'd prefer something that allows local storage on my iPhone with the ability to backup to my desktop manually.

Skiver    1,960

I'm making a few assumptions that it works exactly the same on iOS here as I'm an android user but have you considered Google Photos?

I can store photos on my phone and they are automatically backed up to the cloud
I can "archive" photo's on my phone which means they're removed from my phone but remain in the cloud
If I delete a photo it deletes from both phone and cloud.

+Human.Online    8,489

I think Sean is using Apple Photos, which uploads EVERYTHING to the cloud.

It features a "Hidden" meta-folder (reality it's just a tag).  This hides the images from the Camera Roll.  But they are still there within the upload.

Sean B.    171
29 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

I think Sean is using Apple Photos, which uploads EVERYTHING to the cloud.

It features a "Hidden" meta-folder (reality it's just a tag).  This hides the images from the Camera Roll.  But they are still there within the upload.

Indeed. I could have swore in previous versions of iOS the hidden folder/tag kept the photo/video from uploading to iCloud.