• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Issue with my Android cell and WiFi

Question

+jnelsoninjax    12,183

So for the last few days, around this time (20:00) thru the morning my Android cell phone seems to have an issue with the local WiFi, and I can not figure out why. The symptoms: While the phone is connected to the WiFi, certain apps (like local news, etc) that require internet, can not get the data needed, but as soon as I shut off the WiFi and switch to 4G, I am able to retrieve the data. This is not just one app, it at least 3 different ones. These all seem to work randomly at night, and it only seems to happen at night. If I was to guess it might have to do with congestion on the channel, everyone is home and using the bandwidth, but considering this just starting happening within the last week, I feel that the issue might be something else. Our router is the Linksys 09371, and the ISP is Comcast, with currently shows a down speed (wired) as 236 Mbs and and an up of around 11 Mbs

12 answers to this question

Mindovermaster    2,529

Might be a long shot, but is your router seeing it as a faster IP release? Does this happen with other wifi devices, or just the phone? Let someone else ask more.

+jnelsoninjax    12,183
20 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Might be a long shot, but is your router seeing it as a faster IP release? Does this happen with other wifi devices, or just the phone? Let someone else ask more.

How would I check that? Also, I only notice it with my phone, I can't speak for the other members of the household, but I am really the only one is that uses my phone after this certain time.

Mindovermaster    2,529

You should see it on the router. I'm guessing you can connect to it? You can look on the router and see if it drops your phone connection, for example.

DaveLegg    1,012

You don't have any 'parental controls' set on the router to limit access after a certain time of day?

+jnelsoninjax    12,183
11 minutes ago, DaveLegg said:

You don't have any 'parental controls' set on the router to limit access after a certain time of day?

No, that was the first thing I thought of as well, I have made sure that everything like that was disabled. I also am not 100% certain if the issue is the router or the cell phone.

Mindovermaster    2,529

Yea, make sure all parental stuff on the phone is off, too...

+jnelsoninjax    12,183
10 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Yea, make sure all parental stuff on the phone is off, too...

Never had it setup, nor do I know how to!

+jnelsoninjax    12,183

OK I have diagnosed the issue down to AdGuard. It uses a VPN to transfer the data, if I pause it, suddenly everything loads... I am going to open an trouble ticket with AdGuard about this.

Mindovermaster    2,529

Glad you got this sorted. Never knew this was a thing...

Edit: Let us know what AdGuard says about this...

+jnelsoninjax    12,183
46 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Glad you got this sorted. Never knew this was a thing...

Edit: Let us know what AdGuard says about this...

I will post an update with any info received from AdGuard.

+jnelsoninjax    12,183

So after doing so more poking around in the settings, I disabled https, because I recalled having an issue with it before and some apps did not work with https enabled, so I disabled it and suddenly everything works just fine... can anyone shed some light on what might cause this?

+jnelsoninjax    12,183

OK, so disabling https did not solve the issue, but AdGuard support suggested changing the DNS server, so I changed it to Cloudfare from Adguard and it appears to be working at the moment!