Xbox One S or Xbox One X... coming from an Xbox 360

I am wondering whether to get an Xbox One S or X.

I currently have an Xbox 360. And a Full HD TV (not 4K)

It the price difference - One X is twice the price, but with better specs - worth to get the One X (native 4K), or will the One S suffice for me?

Note: the One S comes "free" on a 1-yr energy contract.

Is neither an option?

The next Xbox is going to released in around 12 months and I'd personally wait for that. 

As you don't have a 4K TV either, if you definitely want to upgrade I'd go for the S.

3 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Is neither an option?

The next Xbox is going to released in around 12 months and I'd personally wait for that. 

As you don't have a 4K TV either, if you definitely want to upgrade I'd go for the S.

Thx.

Neither is an option 😄

Do you have any idea of the introduction price this next Xbox will have? (as compared to the Xbox S/X)?

5 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Thx.

Neither is an option 😄

Do you have any idea of the introduction price this next Xbox will have? (as compared to the Xbox S/X)?

I think that Phil Spencer mentioned that they realised the first Xbox One was priced badly so I'd expect it be cheaper but not sure by how much.

1 minute ago, kiddingguy said:

And when it is coming out? I read somewhere 'holiday'? Is that Nov/Dec 2020 or summer vacation time in July/August? 😎

More than likely, it'll be Nov just in time to be on everyone's Xmas wish list

Yeah, I'd def wait for the next Xbox.  Phil was pretty clear at X019, they will be on par with PS5 on performance and price, I'm paraphrasing here.  Basically they're going to price match and not come in $100 more like last time.   For me, I'd jump on Game Pass till new Xbox, and just play stuff on the PC if you can, which is what I've been doing.

As someone who owns one of each, if you don't have a 4k HDR TV then don't waste the extra on the X, the S is perfectly good enough. Despite having a fairly high end gaming laptop I tend to game on the Xbox anyway as it's quieter, keeps itself up to date and there are so many games on Xbox game pass (way more on Console than PC) that I can more than fill my time!

The new Xbox (Scarlett) is likely to be as expensive as the X if not more so, again with most of the improvements being aimed at 4K+ gaming.

TLDR:Get a One S and Gamepass!

We bought a One S 2 years ago in the January sales to use as a 4K Blu-Ray player, and it was a good buy at the time especially when stand-alone 4K players were as expensive if not more than an X1S. If you don't have a 4K TV then there's no point really in getting an X, so if you find a great deal on an S then go for that... otherwise, wait for next gen and get a 4K TV whilst you're at it.

6 minutes ago, Jub Fequois said:

Performance is a great point, though!

This is one thing to think about, you may not have a 4k TV but gaming on the X at 1080p will for sure give you a way more stable frame rate compared to the S.  Still I'd say to just wait if you're not in a rush.  I expect the X will get a price cut to make room for Scarlet next year anyways.   The X should become the new base Xbox model and the S will probably get phased out with time.

4 hours ago, Riva said:

Get yourself an xbox one s via xbox all access before January and you will be upgraded to scarlett when it comes out. I know people will say hey why pay a subscription when you can actually buy the console cheaper but lets face it, you will most likely buy gold and pass so no its not cheaper unless Microsoft screws us over later on

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-all-access

In regards to Scarlett pricing and release date, its surely ocming out Nov 2020, pricing is a tricky one since it will be quite advanced. Maybe their plan is to have variants again

This is probably the best answer actually, I think if I didn't already have an X I'd seriously consider this.

He's right, I had forgot that they brought back the all access program.  It's worth it, and you get upgraded to scarlet later.   Personally since I also game a fair deal on my PC I'm fine with waiting for scarlet to come next year.