Is this autonomous IPv6 allocation?

Hello there!

I have my Wi-fi router/access point configured to a 'disabled' IPv6 DHCP.

So how come the real-time phone details are showing up (kind of) autonomous v6 address allocation?!

Can someone pl help clarify on this anomaly?

Thanks.

IMG_20191127_190458.png

IMG_20191127_185930.png

IMG_20191127_190024.png

IMG_20191127_190119.png

We need more screenshots of the same thing. The IP address isn’t assigned via dhcp.  It’s the equivalent of a 169 address in ipv4, basically an auto configuration address. 

1 minute ago, Matthew S. said:

That's your local IPv6 address...  

Yeah, I was going to say that, too...

It's your local address, not your DHCP address...

2 hours ago, Jason S. said:

link-local IPv6 address that's self-assigned by every device. It's not routable or accessible to the internet.

What really then is the significance of this link-local IPv6 address if it is neither routable nor accessible on the internet ?

Some experts believe that IPv6 (in real sense) enables every connected device to be tracked, hacked & snooped upon at will ..?!

& so they suggest to untick or disable the IPv6 allotment, allocation totally!

What's your take on this a theory?

4 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

We need more screenshots of the same thing. The IP address isn’t assigned via dhcp.  It’s the equivalent of a 169 address in ipv4, basically an auto configuration address. 

Does this auto configuration address also apply to the rest of the connected devices such as - Windows PC or Linux tablets, Chromebooks..etc. ?

Where do we find such a thing in say Win10 device or PC ?

17 hours ago, saurabhdua said:

Some experts believe that IPv6 (in real sense) enables every connected device to be tracked, hacked & snooped upon at will

And which "experts" are these?  Some guy with a tinfoil hat doesn't make him an expert ;)

Windows 10 has link-local with ipv6 just like any other device that has support for IPv6..  Unless you completely disable IPv6 on the win10 machine it will have link-local address..

link-local is required for NDP to function...  And prob some other stuff that can not think of off the top of my head this early in the morning.

If you are not actively going to use ipv6, and take the time to properly set it up, then sure you can disable it at your router.. But the proper use of ipv6 does not allow for tracking or hacking of your device just because its using IPv6.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2019 at 5:49 PM, BudMan said:

And which "experts" are these?  Some guy with a tinfoil hat doesn't make him an expert ;)

Windows 10 has link-local with ipv6 just like any other device that has support for IPv6..  Unless you completely disable IPv6 on the win10 machine it will have link-local address..

Thank you very much for the clarification.

As far as your earlier point is concerned, I have heard "Jim Lee" from Climateviewer.com, Climateviewer.org, weathermodificationhistory.com - urging his viewers in one of his Youtube videos on that.

Lastly, where do we find this link-local for say Win10? Any special cmd command or specific window pl?!

Thanks.

56 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

Thank you very much for the clarification.

As far as your earlier point is concerned, I have heard "Jim Lee" from Climateviewer.com, Climateviewer.org, weathermodificationhistory.com - urging his viewers in one of his Youtube videos on that.

Lastly, where do we find this link-local for say Win10? Any special cmd command or specific window pl?!

Thanks.

So a Tinfoil expert...

Open up your network adapter's properties/details page or ipconfig /all in command prompt...

"inform the public of the extensive history of weather modification experiments"

WTF... That is not someone with a tinfoil hat on a bit tight, that is what you call a nut job ;)  I would put them in the same category as flat earthers, anti vax and one of my favs - the ones that think we didn't land on the moon..

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BudMan said:

"inform the public of the extensive history of weather modification experiments"

WTF... That is not someone with a tinfoil hat on a bit tight, that is what you call a nut job ;)  I would put them in the same category as flat earthers, anti vax and one of my favs - the ones that think we didn't land on the moon..

That or Mars.... :laugh: