Can Red Dead Redemption 2 be played without having played the first RDD?

I was wondering... I haven't played the first episode of Red Dead Redemption.

Can I understand the storyline of Red Dead Redemption 2? Or is RDD2 just a complete different story and no need to have played RDD1?

Or is it the sequal and is it to be advised to have played RDD 1?

It helps to know some of the background since 2 is a prequel for the first one. If you never plan on playing the first (and don't mind spoilers), then maybe think about watching a YouTube video explaining the story so you become familiar with the first one.

Youtube is full of game "movies" for the big name titles.  If you don't want to take the time to play a game you can watch the movie and get all the story bits that matter.

7 hours ago, warwagon said:

If it's a prequel it happens before the first. So it's the perfect order to play them.

you know it is a 3rd game, right?  first one was Red Dead Revolver.   No idea what happened there though, I did not like the Redemption (all the horse riding, was not as fun as for example witcher, LOL), and the #2 seemed to time consuming.

just look up, no connection there, other then one character name, that no one actually saw in the game.

yeah RDR2 is a brand new start - no need to know anything!

Short Answer: Nope. Not at all. Enjoy it.

Long Answer: If you played the first game it enhances your enjoyment of the game as you will no doubt recognize people from the first game, but as already stated since it is a prequel it is not necessary whatsoever. In fact one could make an argument for playing RDR2 first then going back and replaying the first game to get the story told in a linear progression. It does help a little to have played the first game, you will feel a bit more attached to the characters as you will already know who they are, but it is a standalone game I would say. Enjoy it.