FC1 and WINE

OK, as anyone who's done the FC1 and WINE routine would know, you have to disable exec-shield and prelink to get things to a working condition. However, I'm curious to know if anyone would know what one has to specify in prelink's config for prelink to IGNORE, so as to keep prelink active for the rest of the system.

The alternative would turning prelink/exec-shield back on when WINE programs are NOT in use, but I don't know if this would be harmful to the system at all, or can I do this with some simple little scripts, disabling the 2 when WINE executes?

Since prelink is in for a purpose (to speed things up), I'd like to keep it active whenever possible, if not all the time. I don't much care about exec-shield at this point, but it's nice to have :)

Huh? I haven't needed to do anything major to get wine working on my FC1 PC. I think just make wine's windows-emulated directories read/writeable by me at user level.

Of course, I haven't used it but maybe 4 times in my life, so I could be wrong... :unsure:

It could be that just CrossOver Office 2.1.0 has issues - it's actually reported on their FAQ and some other places installing wine on FC1. I'll run wine-20040121 to see if it's having issues, though the last build I used prior (wine-20031218 I think) did cause issues with some apps (corrupt files mainly).

For the wine install you have, did you use an rpm or did you build from source?

I just used the built-in RPM. Installed it from the CD (and without any updates).

rpm -qa |grep wine shows it to be: wine-0.20030508-1

Minesweeper works. ;) I don't have a Windows partition, so I can't go around and test notepad and any others. It appears to be fully functional (considering it is still in Beta and all) :D