Linux Performance

I was wondering today what tools/commands are used to checkup on Linux. For example there are several tips and tools used to increase the performance of Windows, check for errors on HD, defragment the HD, and so on. When it comes to the Linux side I'm not aware (still learning) of any such commands or tools that do the same thing/more. It may not be necessary, but I always like to keep whatever computer I'm using in tip top condition. If you know of any commands or tips that are useful please share the wealth.

Well, the HD errors are handled by the fact that linux uses true journalling filesystems, so they are constantly checking for errors in a way, and if anything untoward was detected you'd know about it (and your disk would fsck itself on next boot) and as for fragmentation, etc, its never really an issue in linux because the filesystems are so well designed, and they do a certain amount of built-in de-fragging just during normal operation. So filesystem-wise, there's really not much you need to do to keep it in good condition.

I was wondering today what tools/commands are used to checkup on Linux. For example there are several tips and tools used to increase the performance of Windows, check for errors on HD, defragment the HD, and so on. When it comes to the Linux side I'm not aware (still learning) of any such commands or tools that do the same thing/more. It may not be necessary, but I always like to keep whatever computer I'm using in tip top condition. If you know of any commands or tips that are useful please share the wealth.

If you really want performance under Linux then you need to compile your own applications and use a source-based distro.

If you really want performance under Linux then you need to compile your own applications and use a source-based distro.

I'm using Gentoo Linux :D

Actually, the latest benchmarks show that Gentoo has little to no speed advantage when pitted against other packaged distos like Mandrake, Slackware and Red Hat (RIP). Just remember to install only the programs and packages you need on install, that is the best way I have found. You can always check out Powertweak at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=253.

No need to defragment, and it'll automatically check itself after so many reboots or days (whichever comes first)

I wish this feature was in XP :cry:

well, It won't check it self even after, say, 3 million days, if you never reboot.... :rolleyes:

A lot of people only reboot for the latest kernel :)

(though, that said, I hope EVERYONE updates their kernel before 3 million days have past....... please......) :laugh:

Linux always runs good on my machine. But if you have an NVidia video card, make sure you install the NVidia Drivers for maximum performance. On my GeForce4 MX 420, the performance increased like a hundred times, but DVD's play a bit crappy. Then again, I'll save up for a new DVD ROM since the one I have is a bit awkward, even in Windows as a friend tried it.

Actually, the latest benchmarks show that Gentoo has little to no speed advantage when pitted against other packaged distos like Mandrake, Slackware and Red Hat (RIP). Just remember to install only the programs and packages you need on install, that is the best way I have found. You can always check out Powertweak at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=253.

mind pointing us to the 'benchmarks' you are referring to?

I'd also like to see these benchmarks...Slack is the most similar non-gentoo one I think there is, speed-wise.

Gentoo does have pretty significant speed increases though...and to compare Gentoo with Red Hat and MDK is sacrilege. Red Hat and MDK run horribly slow in comparisson.

btw, If I remember from the last time I compiled the kernel, It's not the # of times you reboot and the # of days, its the # of times you MOUNT that particular partition and the # of days since last check :)