Cleaning dirty laptop

Hello,

I'm looking for the best way to clean USB and others port on a laptop. I thought about blowing compressed air into the ports to blow out any debris and dust but would that only blow everything further in? Some recommend using cotton swabs dipped with rubbing alcohol and gently rubbing the swab on the contacts in the port.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The BEST way is to open the entire case, and clean everything with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

BUT, just blowing it should not damage it any further. As long as your aren't using a leaf blower. :laugh:

44 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

The BEST way is to open the entire case, and clean everything with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

BUT, just blowing it should not damage it any further. As long as your aren't using a leaf blower. :laugh:

Why not? I’ve used a leaf blower on a computer before. ☺️

5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Why not? I’ve used a leaf blower on a computer before. ☺️

I've heard heavy duty ones can damage your device(s). But standard blow cans should be fine.

I've had customers say they i've "Blown out their computer" ..when asked how they did it, they just say they blew compressed air in from the back. LOL .. i've heard this twice now this year.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 6:48 PM, Mindovermaster said:

Nice idea but opening the entire case sounds too extreme, plus it's still under warranty.haha

First of all thank you all very much! That helps a lot. Things are slowly getting cleaned. So far so good but I am having a problem with the SD card reader for obvious reasons, that thing is very narrow. I can't get cotton swabs into it, maybe I should try a pipe cleaner?lol

Thanks,

JJ  

I've had some dirty laptops of mine, that i've flipped over with the laptop off, put a zip tie into the fan to hold it still. Then used the data vac to blow in from the vent. Most times I see a large puff of dust come out the bottom.

To test the cooling, with the laptop on and the fans running,  hold the vents up to your face and see if you feel warm air blowing on your face or just heat and no air. Heat and no air means your vents are plugged. If you blow it out and then feel a blow dryer on your face then you know you are good.

1 hour ago, GeminiBusiness said:

Nice idea but opening the entire case sounds too extreme, plus it's still under warranty.haha

Actually, that "void warranty" sticker on devices mean nothing. There's been a lot of talk about this. It's just companies trying to own you...

• 11 months later...

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for a year. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.