want to install mx-linux on a notebook with intel i3 3110M CPU 2,4 ghz ?

hello dear all, 

here the full dataset: 

fujitsu livebook 520
intel i3 3110M CPU 2,4 ghz 
RAM 4 GB 
32 bit 

is this doable!?

13 minutes ago, tarifa said:

hello dear all, 

here the full dataset: 

fujitsu livebook 520
RAM 4 GB 
32 bit 

is this doable!?

Yes. 

37 minutes ago, tarifa said:

hello dear all, 

here the full dataset: 

fujitsu livebook 520
RAM 4 GB 
32 bit 

is this doable!?

Uh, why not try than asking us?

Linux generally speaking don't need much system requirements like Windows or Mac so yes and his spec can easily run it

Drivers might be something to think about. So that's what live cd is for,to test it. 

add more RAM and put Win10 LTSB version

• Facepalm 1

hello dear friends, hello adrynalyne, Marujan, +Human.Online, DentedAphid7, Mindovermaster, ;)

first of all: many thanks for the quick reply. I am very happy to hear from you. 

Thanks for encouraging me in doing tests and going ahead. 

Like +Human.Online said, DentedAphid7,  i should test it with a Live DVD. that's what live USBs are for: so i can test Linux distros on any particular computer and find out for myself how well, 
or even if, they boot and run. so i go for it and try it myself and see what happens.

Thanks for encouraging me in doing tests and going ahead. 

Marujan: "add more RAM and put Win10 LTSB version" - no i want to run Linux. 

adrynalyne:  you second Morujan; "add more RAM and put Win10 LTSB version: Totally answers the OP question. Completely."

no i want to get rid of the Win-stuff. I want to switch to linux.  I use linux in the past 20 years. 

16 years Suse and OpenSuse 
2  years Manjaro 
1 year MX linux 

besides that i have tested debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Slack, Redhat and a few others more... 

have a great day,. 

greetings 

tarifa 

• 2 months later...
On 12/30/2019 at 9:12 AM, Mindovermaster said:

If you used Linux for 20 years, why are you asking this?  You KNOW how this all works...

No doubt about that!

That machine will run any 32bit Linux distro you want although some may be more sluggish than others. Don't know if Suse/OpenSuse even have 32bit versions still, but some of those BIG distros will probably slow machine quite a bit. Personally, I'd go with the XFCE desktop environment no matter what distro you use.

Edit: Didn't notice how old topic was!

It's only 2 months old... Nothing to cry about.

But MX is very similar to Ubuntu, so I'd expect it to run fine.

On 3/13/2020 at 12:52 PM, cork1958 said:

Personally, I'd go with the XFCE desktop environment no matter what distro you use.

At least on Linux Mint... I would suggest going to Cinnamon and being done with it (it's probably a safer choice all-around in my opinion). but if ones computer is fairly ancient (i.e. low RAM (4GB or less) and especially those with a weak CPU), then Xfce might be a better option.

I think Cinnamon is the safest all around bet since it's the most popular Mint version and I suspect has less bugs. because, at least on my main computer, Xfce has issues coming out of the lock-screen after around 5-10 days of uptime (like using the computer like normal and when you lock the screen and then resume use of your computer and type in the password to resume use it seems to freeze there) which the Cinnamon desktop environment does not (I am currently at 44 days and 3 hours+ of uptime on my Linux Mint v19.3-Cinnamon (which is my record uptime on my main PC as I don't think I have ever recorded a longer time without a reboot in the 25 years I have been using computers)) and I figure anyone with decent hardware should be able to run Cinnamon with no problem. with that said, I realize not everyone will have that issue that I got with Xfce and I do have Xfce on my backup computers (one desktop/one laptop (both have weak CPU's)) but I never really tested those for any length of time to see if it has the issue my main PC does, but I suspect it won't.

but either way, I do like Xfce's lightness as it makes my older laptop, which has a underpowered CPU, usable unlike WIndows 10 on it which is way to sluggish.

p.s. I have not tried Ubuntu but it seems like Mint is a superior version of it with less bloat and is probably more friendly in general for those who are used to Windows like interface.

On 3/13/2020 at 1:43 PM, Neyht said:

Wouldn't he want to use a 64 bit version?

Yeah, unless one has no choice it seems defaulting to 64bit is where it's at.

Edited by ThaCrip

26 minutes ago, ThaCrip said:

p.s. I have not tried Ubuntu but it seems like Mint is a superior version of it with less bloat and is probably more friendly in general for those who are used to Windows like interface.

There are a lot of distros based on Debian and Ubuntu.

Mint and/or Cinnamon is more for new users. Not like him who is a coder.

57 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

OP stated it was 32 bit.

Won't really matter as long as he has 4GB of RAM...

22 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Won't really matter as long as he has 4GB of RAM...

Would matter if trying to install 64bit OS on a 32bit machine! Ram is what won't matter.