Connection issue between Server 2012 R2 and QNAP NAS through iSCSI.

Hi All.

I am new to QNAP devices and not needed to use a NAS device in this manner so this is quite new to me. We recently purchased a TS-883XU-RP to use as our mass storage for our company. The plan is for our Hyper-V server (HP DL385p Gen8) to be the host and connect to the NAS via iSCSI. I have done this and during testing, had no issues at all including being able to copy mass data (~4TB) with no issues at all. However, now it is connected to the live system, I have teamed the NICs and configured the switch for 802.3ad dynamic as per https://kb.netgear.com/000053559/How-do-I-set-up-an-LACP-LAG-between-a-Smart-Managed-Plus-switch-and-a-QNAP-NAS and this seems to work fine.

My issues arise when I try to copy the data from the existing servers to the new VM (although this could be a coincidence). The iSCSI connector drops and cant reconnect due to the Hyper-V host not being able to access servers outside of the vSwitch. Once I regain the connection, I will leave the servers to run with no data transfer to see if the connection drops. To add a little extra info, the other VM's that are held on the Hyper-V server can be connected without issue when I have the problem.

My question is that are there steps that I have missed that can be causing this issue? Is there a best practice that I need to follow and where can i find it?

Thanks.

Edit: Also, the NAS is accessible through the WEB GUI when I have the issue. I am investigating the server to see if htere is a setting I have missed or is incorrect for its NIC teaming/switch config.

So I made a change that was recomended (cant find the web page) and this was to set the iSCSI target to use Microsoft iSCSI Intiator as the adapter (found in iSCSI Initiator Properties -> Discovery tab) and not the default. I left the server alone for a couple of days to see if the connection remained stable before attempting to copy any data. After 2 day of solid connection, I started to copy the data on one of the servers but only got around the 10GB mark before I lost connection to this VM but in this instance, I still had access to the host server.

When I had lost connectivity to this VM, I could still access the second VM on the NAS device but this time I couldnt access one of my other VMs that is stored on the host server so I am now leaning towards the vSwitch as the problem.

Looking through the event logs, I only see warning 108 with source MSiSCSi but as I am not using HBA then I can ignore it.

• 11 months later...

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for a year. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.