External HDD issues

I had a Samsung external HDD that was randomly disconnecting from Windows, I bought a new cable and tried to diagnose it, but it turned out that the connector was slightly bent, once I gently fixed it, it stopped getting power. So I took it apart today and pulled the drive and placed it onto an external dock, only to be told by windows that the drive needs to be formatted. Now it is not a huge loss to lose the data on the drive as it is all secondary backups, but I am curious as to why it was working yesterday before changing the cable out, and suddenly today it is no longer formatted...

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I had a Samsung external HDD that was randomly disconnecting from Windows, I bought a new cable and tried to diagnose it, but it turned out that the connector was slightly bent, once I gently fixed it, it stopped getting power. So I took it apart today and pulled the drive and placed it onto an external dock, only to be told by windows that the drive needs to be formatted. Now it is not a huge loss to lose the data on the drive as it is all secondary backups, but I am curious as to why it was working yesterday before changing the cable out, and suddenly today it is no longer formatted...

external drives often are formatted "differently" the USB to SATA control board understands the format. while when you plug it in directly windows doesn't recognize the format.

2 hours ago, nekrosoft13 said:

external drives often are formatted "differently" the USB to SATA control board understands the format. while when you plug it in directly windows doesn't recognize the format.

Strange, I really never came across something like that, except for some of those dual WD Mybooks, or the random WD drives that had proprietary SATA connectors.

10 hours ago, warwagon said:

Have you tried running a chkdsk on the drive?

It says it is file system RAW

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

It says it is file system RAW

I read somewhere that some companies make it so you can't buy externals on the cheap, remove them from their enclosures and put them in your pc. Now this may have been actually preventing them to power on. I'm not sure. I know that they had to cover some pins on the power connector to get it to work but that might have also been just for it to turn on.

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

I read somewhere that some companies make it so you can't buy externals on the cheap, remove them from their enclosures and put them in your pc. Now this may have been actually preventing them to power on. I'm not sure. I know that they had to cover some pins on the power connector to get it to work but that might have also been just for it to turn on.

Well, I'm just going to format it, and see if it is usable.

I had this happen to MyBook, too. Sadly, one controller broke, but as I had 2, and I could switch the controller card and could back everything up.

After that, I just formatted it with GParted, but it had some freaky customization. You had to recreate the partition and something else (was years ago)

22 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Strange, I really never came across something like that, except for some of those dual WD Mybooks, or the random WD drives that had proprietary SATA connectors.

i see it quite often, i shuck a lot of drives. 

Its cheaper to buy large external drives then internal.

some usb to sata boards encrypt the drives, some back in the day emulated advance formating

• 11 months later...

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for a year. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.