• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Windows 10 throttling speed

Recommended Posts

Exoo    2

I should be getting gigabit speeds, when I test with speedtest I get around ~140mbps, fast.com shows 300ish, sometimes 400.

My NIC is set to 1.0 gbps, my network card is not the issue.

I tried a new windows installation on a spare SSD drive, the speeds were instantly 1gbps without problems. This is an issue with something in my windows.

I don't want a new windows installation unless it's 100% needed.

If you need any other info, let me know.

I feel that this is 100% a problem within my windows installation.
I feel like it's throttling, as the tests are very stable and feel like they don't want to go over a certain speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+InsaneNutter    1,363

As your saying the internet is full speed on a clean install of Windows i'm wondering what antivirus do you have installed on your main Windows install? and is this installed on your clean install?

 

Reason I ask is the web filtering functionality on Sophos Endpoint can cause exactly this, for example here is a speedtest i've just done.


With Sophos web filtering:

 

8928563548.png

 

Without Sophos web filtering:

 

1380ea8f-c153-4d16-80db-7f3c5e07d86b.png

 

As you can see Sophos web filtering pretty much cuts in half the max speed of my internet connection (500Mbps).

 

I also presume you have the same NIC drivers installed on each Windows install?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riva    1,248
2 hours ago, InsaneNutter said:

As your saying the internet is full speed on a clean install of Windows i'm wondering what antivirus do you have installed on your main Windows install? and is this installed on your clean install?

 

Reason I ask is the web filtering functionality on Sophos Endpoint can cause exactly this, for example here is a speedtest i've just done.


With Sophos web filtering:

 

8928563548.png

 

Without Sophos web filtering:

 

1380ea8f-c153-4d16-80db-7f3c5e07d86b.png

 

As you can see Sophos web filtering pretty much cuts in half the max speed of my internet connection (500Mbps).

 

I also presume you have the same NIC drivers installed on each Windows install?

Get kaspersky instead :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+xrobwx71    809
5 minutes ago, Riva said:

Get kaspersky instead :p

Or Windows Defender. It's now the best, integrated in the OS, robust full featured AV/AM.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+xrobwx71    809
5 hours ago, Exoo said:

I should be getting gigabit speeds, when I test with speedtest I get around ~140mbps, fast.com shows 300ish, sometimes 400.

My NIC is set to 1.0 gbps, my network card is not the issue.

I tried a new windows installation on a spare SSD drive, the speeds were instantly 1gbps without problems. This is an issue with something in my windows.

I don't want a new windows installation unless it's 100% needed.

If you need any other info, let me know.

I feel that this is 100% a problem within my windows installation.
I feel like it's throttling, as the tests are very stable and feel like they don't want to go over a certain speed.

Try the SG TCP Optimizer. I've been using it for years. Run it as admin.

 

Also, you can do a repair install. It keeps all your apps and personal files in place while only replacing Windows as new.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

 

https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/windows-throttling-ethernet-speeds-1239916.html  <---Let us know what you find out here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Exoo    2
8 hours ago, xrobwx71 said:

Try the SG TCP Optimizer. I've been using it for years. Run it as admin.

 

Also, you can do a repair install. It keeps all your apps and personal files in place while only replacing Windows as new.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

 

https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/windows-throttling-ethernet-speeds-1239916.html  <---Let us know what you find out here.

Hey, thank you so much.

 

I remember using the SG TCP Optimizer long ago (when my speeds were 150/15), I reset to default settings and now my speed tests immediately hit 900 :)

Thank you again!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,638
3 hours ago, Exoo said:

Hey, thank you so much.

 

I remember using the SG TCP Optimizer long ago (when my speeds were 150/15), I reset to default settings and now my speed tests immediately hit 900 :)

Thank you again!

So you removed the old settings and now it works?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cork1958    1,756
13 hours ago, xrobwx71 said:

Try the SG TCP Optimizer. I've been using it for years. Run it as admin.

 

Also, you can do a repair install. It keeps all your apps and personal files in place while only replacing Windows as new.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

 

https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/windows-throttling-ethernet-speeds-1239916.html  <---Let us know what you find out here.

That app still works for Windows 10? Thought it died after Windows XP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Exoo    2

It was specifically  "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal" that fixed it.

autotuninglevel was set to disabled, which is what was causing the problems for me.

Now that it's set to normal, i get 1.0gbps no issues.

 

 

The app actually has some useful tweaks, which I set back to what they were before.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat    1,370
2 hours ago, cork1958 said:

That app still works for Windows 10? Thought it died after Windows XP?

It still exists, but in general it causes more problems than it solves (from what I've noticed.)

 

I'd still use cFosSpeed for best throughput at all times, but even that is unnecessary most of the time.

Edited by LostCat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cork1958    1,756
10 hours ago, LostCat said:

It still exists, but in general it causes more problems than it solves (from what I've noticed.)

 

I'd still use cFosSpeed for best throughput at all times, but even that is unnecessary most of the time.

Actually, that's what most people said about it back when it was a thing, from what I remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat    1,370
2 hours ago, cork1958 said:

Actually, that's what most people said about it back when it was a thing, from what I remember.

Depends on your connection.  I had fantastic results with cFosSpeed on 3G and DSL.  I still love it.  I have fiber now and it's still good, I just don't need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+xrobwx71    809
On 1/9/2020 at 8:07 PM, cork1958 said:

That app still works for Windows 10? Thought it died after Windows XP?

Check the site. It works very well.  It utilizes Powershell netsh commands in the background.  It fixed the OP's issue.  ---> 

Quote

t was specifically  "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal" that fixed it.

autotuninglevel was set to disabled, which is what was causing the problems for me.

Now that it's set to normal, i get 1.0gbps no issues.

 

 

The app actually has some useful tweaks, which I set back to what they were before.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+xrobwx71    809
On 1/9/2020 at 8:07 PM, cork1958 said:

That app still works for Windows 10? Thought it died after Windows XP?

https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/windows-throttling-ethernet-speeds-1239916.html#post7763258

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat    1,370
4 hours ago, xrobwx71 said:

Check the site. It works very well.  It utilizes Powershell netsh commands in the background.  It fixed the OP's issue.  ---> 

More like undoing its useless tweaks fixed his issue :p

 

(Though I don't think it does that anymore, who knows though.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+BudMan    3,587
On 1/9/2020 at 9:03 PM, Exoo said:

autotuninglevel was set to disabled, which is what was causing the problems for me.

Yeah that would prevent scaling of the recv window size - with for sure could limit speed..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OldGuru    483

Networking in Windows 10 is broken in one or another form.

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    3,262
2 minutes ago, OldGuru said:

Networking in Windows 10 is broken in one or another form.

how so? I have not had any networking issues and know many others that haven't either.

 

I'm guessing driver related in some cases

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+BudMan    3,587

I have zero issues with networking with 10 as well.

 

edit:  Take that back - I do/did have some issues with the built in nic in this box.. Where it would work great for X amount of time, and then all of sudden not work at all.. It was like the nic was gone.. No ip.. I just added a dual port card an no issues since then.. Never figured out what the problem was - but found others having the same issue with with this dell model.. The new dual port card allows me to do smb3 multichannel so was really a win in the long run ;)

 

That was multiple versions of 10 ago, so maybe its working now??  Have had no need to re-enable that built in nic since the addon card works fine..

 

But in general have had no issues, I put that down to some sort of driver/hardware issue to be honest.. The box is getting a bit long in the tooth.. So never know - the box didn't ship with 10, etc.

 

But I wouldn't say there is anything inherently wrong with networking in 10 if that is what your saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.