Cool Programming / Project Ideas?

Question

I've made it my New Years resolution to work on something every single day for the next year (and hopefully the following year). I'm looking for ideas on what to build. Some things I've built so far include:

I'm wanting to get some feedback on either my existing projects or something new that you'd like to see built. My development is not just limited to NodeJS/React but also PHP and .NET. I created some Windows applications back in the day such as the Windows 7 Application Launcher and Windows 8 Start Menu Modifier which I had linked somewhere in this forums previously. 

The more suggestions the merrier! :)

3 answers to this question

I had to make an algorithm for the best discount calculator a few months back. That was pretty fun.

Given an assortment of items of various categories (certain promos apply to certain products) find the best arrangement of coupons/discounts for the order basket. Some coupons work on all items, some on some types of items, some on specific items. Some discounts can be used more than one, some X times, and some as many times as you like. Some offer 10% off, some 30% off, some are $50 when your basket is over $200. Many different arrangements.

That was probably one of my more interesting and fun programming challenges. Specially trying to find all the shortcuts I could take to limit the processing demands in JavaScript.

As an aside, some discounts where entered as promo codes, and if the promo code was not sufficient (another discount was better than removed the qualifications of this one) than the promo code must be returned and unused.

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for a year. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.