New Computer?

You're honestly probably lagging because your workstations have 4GB of RAM. That old pentium proc isn't doing you any favors either for Quickbooks. 10 years old though for a computer now, it's going to be more trouble than it's worth to upgrade components in them.

Get 8GB of RAM minimum for administrative clerical work. 16GB will hold you over for years. SSD are so cheap now, there's really no reason not to. 

3 hours ago, Brandon H said:

hey for as cheap as he managed to get that build I say why not :D

$570 isn't too bad a price at all for all that. gives good wiggle room with the extra power.

A good part of the 570$ is the GPU though and if he's not playing games he could get away with something cheaper than a 580. A 570 can often be found for 120$. Something cheaper could even do the job probably. I'm not knowledgeable about cheap office gpus but maybe a 1030 or even a 710 would do the job?

Edited by LaP

4 hours ago, Brandon H said:

yep, that looks to be the same SSD I linked from Amazon :)

and yes if the SSDs alone aren't enough to boost your current PCs to your liking the rest of the parts @Mockingbird listed should suit you well. Or we can recommend some pre-built machines if you'd prefer not to put it together yourself.

4GB is the bare minimum these days. I worked on a 4GB computer recently for a client and even for the most basic office work and internet browsing with couple of opened windows it was slow as hell at the end of the day. I would say for work 8GB RAM is getting close to a minimum.

20 hours ago, LaP said:

4GB is the bare minimum these days. I worked on a 4GB computer recently for a client and even for the most basic office work and internet browsing with couple of opened windows it was slow as hell at the end of the day. I would say for work 8GB RAM is getting close to a minimum.

At my work I have a laptop with windows 10 (Dell Latitude e5470) i5 with 4gb ram and it flies, thankfully it has a m.2 hard drive which I guess is what's keeping it snappy. In all honesty, an SSD these days makes office tasks much easier to deal with.

28 minutes ago, forster said:

At my work I have a laptop with windows 10 (Dell Latitude e5470) i5 with 4gb ram and it flies, thankfully it has a m.2 hard drive which I guess is what's keeping it snappy. In all honesty, an SSD these days makes office tasks much easier to deal with.

Wasn't going to add my 2 cents about SSD's but seeing as how last post here is about that, here it is. Just installed SSD's in all 4 of my laptops recently. Even on kids ancient Toshiba Satellite with lousy AMD dual core, it's almost like a new computer again. Did upgrade memory to it's max of 8GB's though, also. Wouldn't call it blazing, but a big time noticeable difference.

On my better laptops, it's blazing, in comparison to HDD's.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, NinjaGinger said:

8 gigs of ram is minimum 16 is better 32 is best.

For what he is using it for, 8GB should be plenty. He isn't a gamer or developer.

Good evening! I purchased a few of the Samsung Evo 860 ssd and put them in the 2 computers, it's like night and day they are fine now with just this upgrade in my opinion.  Thanks for all the advice!

I have another computer question the list of parts above would they be more than enough to run AutoCad?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($119.92 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: *ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($62.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: *Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($39.71 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *ASRock Radeon RX 580 8 GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card  ($166.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: *Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.00 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: *Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $573.58

Thank you

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LilSnoop40 said:

Good evening! I purchased a few of the Samsung Evo 860 ssd and put them in the 2 computers, it's like night and day they are fine now with just this upgrade in my opinion.  Thanks for all the advice!

I have another computer question the list of parts above would they be more than enough to run AutoCad?

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: *Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($39.71 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *ASRock Radeon RX 580 8 GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card  ($166.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: *Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 

Thank you

Yes, it easily meets the system requirements

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-AutoCAD-2020-including-Specialized-Toolsets.html

For AutoCAD? You need a better GFX card than a 580.... It's as good as a 1060....

And if you are running a GFX card higher than the 580, you need at least 600-750W..

5 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

For AutoCAD? You need a better GFX card than a 580.... It's as good as a 1060....

And if you are running a GFX card higher than the 580, you need at least 600-750W..

That's not what the system requirements said.

18 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

That's not what the system requirements said.

That's the minimum, dude. View any game, and you KNOW that the bare minimum won't cut it.

You ever run AutoCAD? Other than "what they say"?

47 minutes ago, LilSnoop40 said:

PCPartPicker Part List

Thank you

Depends ... what are doing with AutoCAD?  For fun or for money/business?  Basic 2D or Advanced 3D

If the latter ... you'll probably want to move from the RX580 to an AutoCAD certified GPU ... then figure out which card is within your budget.  

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/certified-graphics-hardware

If just strictly 2D ... GPU doesn't really matter.

What is the budget for this AutoCAD system and its intended usage case?

My wife's father has his own electrial contractor business and uses it everyday.  he is on version 2014 and said today he needs to do something it's taking a bit for the apps to load up etc.  if you could provide a part list for this that would be fine. i am going to try throwing in a new ssd hard drive like i just did on his other 2 machines and upgrade his memory to 8gb and see if it's better.

2 minutes ago, LilSnoop40 said:

My wife's father has his own electrial contractor business and uses it everyday.  he is on version 2014 and said today he needs to do something it's taking a bit for the apps to load up etc.  if you could provide a part list for this that would be fine. i am going to try throwing in a new ssd hard drive like i just did on his other 2 machines and upgrade his memory to 8gb and see if it's better.

Probably be best to find out what his specs are currently ... and how exactly he uses it.  The system you put together would probably be just fine if he is just doing 2D drafting (though the GPU is probably overkill). 

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

That's the minimum, dude. View any game, and you KNOW that the bare minimum won't cut it.

You ever run AutoCAD? Other than "what they say"?

Did you just compared AutoCAD to a game?

54 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Depends ... what are doing with AutoCAD?  For fun or for money/business?  Basic 2D or Advanced 3D

If the latter ... you'll probably want to move from the RX580 to an AutoCAD certified GPU ... then figure out which card is within your budget.  

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/certified-graphics-hardware

If just strictly 2D ... GPU doesn't really matter.

What is the budget for this AutoCAD system and its intended usage case?

Workstations cards are so expensive.

Unless the OP has specific need for a workstation card, there is no need to spend a lot of money for one.

Edited by Mockingbird

4 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Did you just compared AutoCAD to a game?

No, I was comparing "minimal system requirements" for ANY program. NOT just games.

6 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Do you realize that workstation cards have drivers that are completely different from consumer cards?

When did workstation cards ever come into count here? Aside from that, consumer vs workstatiuon graphics have the same type of drivers. Workstation drives just have more umph.

9 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Unless the OP has specific need for a workstation card, there is no need to spend a lot of money for one, there is no need to spend a lot of money for one.

And in the beginning he said $1k for EACH. So we have a lot of wiggle room here.

BUT, OP, what type of AutoCAD work are you doing? (going to...)

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Aside from that, consumer vs workstatiuon graphics have the same type of drivers. Workstation drives just have more umph.

Actually, they don't.

3 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Actually, they don't.

Explain, please? And don't give me a ripping link...

9 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

When did workstation cards ever come into count here?

So what were you advocating?

...that he buy a more expensive consumer card?

4 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

So what were you advocating?

...that he buy a more expensive consumer card?

Well, at least something more than that 580...

3 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Which video card do you think he should get and why?

IDK about the latest cards, and I'm not pretending to be all-knowing. I own a 580 myself, but aside from that, it is very close, as in preformance to the GFX 1060. Again, I haven't used AutoCad since the early 2000s either, BUT that 580 sounds like a bad price to me.

BTW, umm, the 580 isn't a workstation card, you know...

7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

IDK about the latest cards, and I'm not pretending to be all-knowing. I own a 580 myself, but aside from that, it is very close, as in preformance to the GFX 1060. Again, I haven't used AutoCad since the early 2000s either, BUT that 580 sounds like a bad price to me.

...and why is that relevant?

7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

BTW, umm, the 580 isn't a workstation card, you know...

Yes, I do know that.

What's your point?

46 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Workstations cards are so expensive.

Unless the OP has specific need for a workstation card, there is no need to spend a lot of money for one.

Which I pointed out. i.e. what is the usage of AutoCAD, budget, etc...which isn't entirely clear.  If just using for 2D designs ... the RX580 is overkill.  If doing advanced 3D modeling, an AutoCAD certified (workstation) GPU would probably be beneficial.  However, not enough is known about how this system is used, budget, etc.

Anyway, I'm not going to get involved in this little back and forth.  It is tiring.

• Thanks 1