Disable UAC for specific programs/apps; possible?

kiddingguy

Everything I launch programs like Speccy and others I get the - annoying - UAC popup to "allow changes".

Is there a way as to say to UAC... "Hey, this is app is OK, stop pointing this message out everytime"? (or is it just bad programming by the developers?) 

And not by adjusting the general and overall Windows settings of UAC. I would like to keep it that way.

goretsky

Hello,

My guess is that the program is doing something which requires administrative permission.  In this case, perhaps involving a driver or a service.

In the distant past, I have used JoeWare's CreateProcessAsUser (CPAU) program to do this, but I do not know if that works under Windows 10.

WindowsTenForums has a tutorial on how to use Scheduled Tasks to bypass the UAC prompt here.  It is a bit of a lengthy/somewhat convoluted process.

If you are going to do something like this, be sure to re-test it each time you update the application you are launching without UAC, as its behavior could change, and this could become problematic.  Also, keep in mind that once you have allowed a program to run as an administrator, it can make global changes to the system, so be very cautious about what sorts of programs you give these permissions to, and keep an eye on things when you run them for unexpected behaviors/consequences.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 3
kiddingguy
15 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

My guess is that the program is doing something which requires administrative permission.  In this case, perhaps involving a driver or a service.

In the distant past, I have used JoeWare's CreateProcessAsUser (CPAU) program to do this, but I do not know if that works under Windows 10.

WindowsTenForums has a tutorial on how to use Scheduled Tasks to bypass the UAC prompt here.  It is a bit of a lengthy/somewhat convoluted process.

If you are going to do something like this, be sure to re-test it each time you update the application you are launching without UAC, as its behavior could change, and this could become problematic.  Also, keep in mind that once you have allowed a program to run as an administrator, it can make global changes to the system, so be very cautious about what sorts of programs you give these permissions to, and keep an eye on things when you run them for unexpected behaviors/consequences.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thx, But I think I will keep it this way...

goretsky

Hello,

I think that is best, actually.

Personally, I would stick with the UAC prompt.  It serves as a type of reminder that you are performing an action that can affect the entirety of the system, best to exercise some caution on the next few things I do with it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

freqnasty

The UAC method Windows has in place somewhat replicates the method Linux uses to increase security when running apps.