This apparently fixes Plex app constant buffering on Xbox One

Steven P.

Sometime recently a new update was pushed to the Xbox One which has again broken the Plex app to which it constantly buffers direct streams.

Shamelessly copied from here while looking for a solution it seems that the Kodi app does a far better job:

• Install Kodi on your Xbox One
  • Launch Kodi, goto addons; search for Plex and install Plex
  • Run Plex Addon
  • In Plex settings enable X265
  • In Plex settings set remote quality to original
  • Set Plex addon to run at Kodi startup.

The only drawback is that it does not support HDR mode switching, which is why I am finally done with messing around with Plex on the Xbox and I'm now ordering an Nvidia Shield.

I will try the above on my Xbox One S upstairs in my bedroom and report back with my findings.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Steven P.
      I don't know what it is with Plex and HDR content, but it is not quite there, even 10-bit 1080p content struggles with external subtitles (which is the suggested method to avoid transcoding). So with that said!

I have a Nvidia Shield 2019 tube media player hooked up to my 4K Philips 55OLED803 Android TV (no Dolby Vision tho) Onkyo HT-S5805 receiver Dolby Atmos HDMI® 4 In / 1 Out (4K UltraHD / HDCP 2.2 / 4:4:4) passthrough My Nas is Qnap TS-253Be which is the Intel variant 256GB Sandisk USB3 flashdrive for temporary Transcoding folder (this avoid writing to the same disk as the source video content) So these are the steps I took
      Install Emby Server https://emby.media/download.html on the NAS/Media server Be sure to use the walk-through wizard and install the Open Subtitles/Addicted plugin after Emby Server installation On your router ensure TCP port 8096 is open locally (this is HTTP) I highly recommend setting an external or different disk for Transcode jobs (found in Emby Server Settings > Transcoding)
      On your media player (Android TV or in my case Nvidia Shield) install Kodi Installing EmbyCon for Kodi (for metadata)
      In Kodi go to Settings > File Manager >  Add Source Browse > Add network location... > click Protocol until it changes to Web Server Directory (HTTPS) In Server Address enter kodi.emby.tv > then OK You will now see kodi.emby.tv:443 in the Browse for new share list > select it > then OK Give it a name like emby repo > hit OK In the file manager you will see emby repo you can select it and see the remote file listing Go back to the Kodi home screen  In the left list scroll down and select Add-ons From the left list go up to the box icon (package installer) then select Install from zip file > Hit Settings and allow installation from unknown sources Select Install from zip file and select kodi.emby.tv:443 as the source Select repository.emby.kodi-1.0.6.zip (the version and name may differ) When you see it is installed, then select Install from repository > Kodi Emby Add-ons > Video add-ons > EmbyCon > Install (it may require Python libraries, allow it) After installation it will now scan for your Emby server which you installed on your NAS/Media server > Select it and login You have now installed the Emby add-on for Kodi for the metadata/subtitle management There is a video walkthrough for this as well that you can view below

To integrate Emby in the Kodi homescreen so it looks a little more like Plex or Emby when launching Kodi:
      From Kodi home screen, in the left list go down to and select Add-ons  From the screen go down to Video add-ons and select and enter EmbyCon From that list select and enter Add-on actions From that list select and enter Clone default skin In the popup dialog select and enter Yes Switch to the new cloned skin from the popup dialog that appears by selecting Yes > Then confirm to keep skin The skin even supports fast user switching for multiple Emby profiles There's a video walkthrough of this you can view here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avugXc8oNYQ  
      Now you need to configure the player on the TV to ensure that audio passthrough works properly because none of that is set as default
      From the Kodi home screen select and enter Settings in the left list Select the System settings
      In the left list go down to Basic and enter until it changes to Expert
      Then go up to Audio and select it, ensure those settings match your receiver (mine is an Atmos receiver)

Ensure passthrough is enabled (it isn't by default) and turn on the capabilities for your receiver Then head out of there by going back to the Kodi settings screen and select and enter Player
      In Video setting > Ensure Use display HDR capabilities is toggled on
      Finally, set the preference for subtitles in the Language setting, it is only available in Expert mode

With this setup HDR and Atmos with external subtitles streams okay and 10-bit 1080p (HEVC) content actually works flawlessly.

If I missed anything let me know and I will try to help.
    • By Jay Bonggolto
      Plex announces Arcade game subscription service for $4.99 per month
      by Jay Bonggolto

Plex announced today a new game subscription service that features a whole library of retro games. The new game streaming called Plex Arcade will cost $4.99 per month.

Subscribers can play games on iOS, Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Windows, macOS, and Android devices. Plex says it plans to add support for more platforms in the future.

For the new game subscription, Plex has teamed up with Atari whose titles such as Centipede, Lunar Lander, and Motor Psycho, among others, will be available to customers. The company also partnered with Parsec whose technology helps to improve the players' gaming experience by reducing latency.

To start playing retro games, you will need a Plex Media server version 1.21.2 or newer on Windows or macOS. You also need to connect your Parsec account to your Plex account. Supported controllers include any Bluetooth or USB game controller, although Plex recommends a Sony DualShock 4 or Xbox One controller for best performance.

Arcade is available starting today and you can sign up here. For Plex Pass subscribers, the service will cost only $2.99 per month. There's also a seven-day free trial if you want to test the game subscription first.

• By zikalify
      Plex introduces free Spanish-language live TV channels
      by Paul Hill

Plex has announced that it is rolling out several Spanish-language channels on its free live TV service. Initially, six channels will be available with 25 more rolling out in the coming weeks. With over 80 channels launching in July and more than 30 Spanish-language channels rolling out in the coming weeks, the platform will have more than 100 channels in all.

Unfortunately, the new channels will only be available to users in the United States, however, if you are in that region you’ll receive a range of new content covering telenovelas, game shows, sitcoms, movies, award-winning series and more. While these channels will primarily serve the 58 million Spanish speakers in the U.S., those looking to learn the language will also be able to use them as a resource.

Some of the new shows and movies being made available include:

Casados con Hijos (Married with Children) La Niñera (The Nanny) Mi Bella Genio (I Dream of Jeannie) Doña Barbara Señorita Pólvora Latido Music with 24/7 music videos, artist interviews, live performances, and more Who Wants to Be a Millionaire Wipeout Escape Perfecto Ma ma Chico and Rita and more. To watch the new channels, you just need to download the free Plex app available for Roku, Apple TV, Android, smart TVs, iPhones, iPads, Android, or visit the Plex website. Just head to the Live TV section and select a channel to start watching.

• By Jay Walker
      Plex Pass Lifetime plan is now only $88 for a limited time
      by Jay Walker

Plex has been around for quite a long time. It started as a media server app, and now offers streaming services to existing users, thanks to deals it got from some of the biggest movie studios and production companies. The firm also recently added 80 free channels for users worldwide. While the service is mostly free to use, users can pay for Plex Pass to access premium features and contents, as well as discounts and deals from its partners.

Currently, Plex Pass has three subscription plans -- with Lifetime plan being the most expensive. The Monthly plan costs $4.99, while Yearly plan costs $39.99, and the Lifetime plan costs a one-time payment of $119.99. However, since Plex Pass is turning 8 today, Plex is celebrating the new milestone by giving users a chance to purchase Lifetime Plex Pass for only $88 using the code 8PLEXPASS8 upon checkout.

If you are interested in grabbing the offer, it can be purchased starting today until 5:59 AM PT tomorrow. Note that price may vary depending on the location, and currency.

• By zikalify
      Plex launches more than 80 live TV channel for users worldwide
      by Paul Hill

Plex has announced that users will be able to watch live TV on its platform anywhere in the world. The platform has begun hosting around 80 free channels with more expected soon. The content will vary from country to country due to licensing restrictions but, in general, there should be something to watch no matter where you are.

The firm said that it is providing a broad spectrum of content including live news like Reuters and Yahoo Finance, kids shows from Toon Goggles, live sports and original content from fubo Sports Network, gaming and esports on IGN1, and LGBTQ+ channels from Revry.

Commenting on the launch, Keith Valory, CEO of Plex, said:

Over the last year, Plex has announced moves to bring streaming content to its platform to keep up with trends. The firm did, however, re-affirm its commitment to personal media management going forward so that it keeps its traditional user base happy.