7+ year old components possibly failing?

First the system parts: 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  {x4, 32 GB total RAM)
Storage: SanDisk Extreme 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3 GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

I bought most of those parts in 2013 (if I recall correctly) . . . . Earlier today I was using the computer normally (browsing the internet, had music playing from clementine), then randomly I get colored lines appear on the screen with the computer freezing (except music still playing though I couldn't control it anymore). Reboot and now all subsequent screens have ugly lines over them along with not being able to boot into the OS or any live Linux drive.  I tried a memory test, the farthest it got was ~34 second before it froze. Plugging one of my monitors into the motherboard didn't do anything.    If and when I can upload pictures I took with my phone I'll upload them. I'm on a separate computer we had laying around.

Prolly the GFX card. Can you swap a new/other card with it?

I do not think it is your PSU, BUT can you test that with a new/other one, too?

Assuming lines/distortion/freezing regardless of stage (for example even in the BIOS):

Yea, I would pull the GPU. 

Boot using on the on-board GPU. 

If you receive no video out ... clear your CMOS.  You might have your on-board GPU disabled ... which is an option within the BIOS under "Peripherals" 

If problem happens with the on-board GPU ... may want to pull all but one stick of memory and try again (doubt this is the issue).

If the system seems fine without any artifacts/freezing/etc. ... go ahead and try the Radeon again (maybe it just needs to be reseated).  

If problem resurfaces ... the GPU or PSU is probably the culprit.  Hard to tell you which...though I would lean towards the GPU.

Anyway ... I'm willing to bet the dGPU is dying or it just needs to be reseated.  

Yea, that doesn't look very good ... assuming you can not enter the BIOS either (meaning it doesn't display properly)?

I would take the steps in my previous post (pulling the GPU, etc.)

Just disconnected one of the plugs that goes into the GPU, used the GPU on the CPU and yes it absolutely looks 100% normal (no weird lines) on a TV. OS looks normal (except quite enlarged because the main monitor i use is 4k, TV is 1080p). Oh lordy . . . .  Other issue is that It seems like every other (or every two days) Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon suddenly (/randomly) freezes and I need to reboot. Could that be the OS SSD going?

9 minutes ago, dlf said:

Just disconnected one of the plugs that goes into the GPU, used the GPU on the CPU and yes it absolutely looks 100% normal (no weird lines) on a TV. OS looks normal (except quite enlarged because the main monitor i use is 4k, TV is 1080p). Oh lordy . . . .  Other issue is that It seems like every other (or every two days) Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon suddenly (/randomly) freezes and I need to reboot. Could that be the OS SSD going?

Umm, that's the power to the GPU.... You need that...

53 minutes ago, dlf said:

So ... you've unplugged (the power) from the Radeon and are running video straight from the motherboard using the internal GPU.  Everything appears fine.  Correct?  If so, I would still pull the Radeon, reseat it and see if that fixes the issue.  If not, I would suspect that it has passed away.  

It is unfortunate though, since I'm just about positive that the 3770k can not do 4k.  If you have some cash you can probably get a cheap dedicated GPU which can handle at least 4K for desktop.

Regarding the Linux issue ... I'm not familiar with Linux or troubleshooting so I'm not sure how to diagnose hardware vs. software (I'm sure it has event logs which can help).  If that is a separate issue from the video (like it predates it) .. might be best to start a new topic in the Linux subforum.  Maybe the Radeon was causing the kernel to panic (is that still a thing?)

TBH, it sounds like your whole computer is falling apart...

I don't think this is software dependant, BUT I can't really say, as "randomly freezes" isn't really an answer...

Edit: I just thought of something, can you run Mint on a USB stick? If this works fine for awhile, then it is indeed your SSD failing. Run a SMART check on the SSD, too...

Hello,

Do you have another power supply you can swap in temporarily for testing purposes?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 2/6/2020 at 1:34 AM, dlf said:

No, if the GPU is failing it is probably a side effect of that. It's best to try and resolve one issue at a time.

Please try reseating the GPU first as suggested above.