Slackware 9.0 IRC Server Help

Hello,

As a linux newbie I have installed Slackware 9.0 on my server (dual p3 500, 256mb ram) and would like to set it up as a IRC server first any tuts on how to do this (maybe PleXusIRCd or QuakeIRCd ??) also I would like to know how to set up the DNS I have one static IP and a domain name at namecheap.com So any guides on that front? In the end when I get everything working im hoping to link the server to a irc network.

Any light on this subject would be great...

Cheers, SW5. :)

Well you do need an IRCd (IRC Daemon). Most were made for unix, so you shouldn't have any problems no matter the nix flavor. First off you should read completely into the IRCds before getting them and actually learn how to administrate and IRC server/network, because it isn't that easy. Every IRCd is different with different commands and some even comply with the IRCX standard. Also you should know which network you want to link to, because you must use the same IRCd. It's pretty cut and dry in each IRCd's README and INSTALL files in how to install them. And most large networks demand a large bandwidth connection (at least a T1 usually). The smaller networks however usually don't care.

Also to make it easier on yourself see if you can use namecheap's dns servers (if they have one) and have it point to your IP.