20h1 Release date?

16 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I'm sure you've already searched Google, but there it says March/April 2020. ;)

I have a better tech search engine. Its called neowin 😄

Mid-April I say, they just released the first ISO for business users to test out and a new slow ring  build.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 1:55 PM, erpster3 said:

Mary Jo Foley of ZDNet recently reported that 20H1 may come out on May 12th (aka. "general availability")

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-rolls-out-windows-10-2004-release-preview-ahead-of-expected-may-release-to-mainstream-users/

looks like the public release of 20H1/2004 has been pushed back towards the end of May

Mary Jo Foley recently updated her article on April 30:

Update (April 30): As I mentioned on the Windows Weekly podcast recently, these dates were pushed back by Microsoft, possibly because the team wanted to patch a zero-day exploit before pushing the code to OEMs and users. I hear OEMs now are set to get the code May 5; developers on May 12; and general availability is slated for May 28. Again, Microsoft has not announced this officially and these dates may change yet again.

• 2 weeks later...

since MS did not release 20H1 on May 12 to the public (and I did not expect them too since they had to get in one more fix), it is looking more likely to be released between May 26 to May 28

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-leak-windows-10-2004-being-released-last-week-of-may/

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/hardware-dev-center/updated-driver-shiproom-schedule-for-2020/ba-p/1154275

9 hours ago, JustGeorge said:

The more important question is: Are you sure you want to install it on release? 

I've had no trouble with it since it released on the release preview ring so I don't see why not. Haven't really heard of anyone else having issues either with this one.

This release also focused on bug fixes rather than new features.

10 hours ago, JustGeorge said:

The more important question is: Are you sure you want to install it on release? 

I've been running 20H1 since the final build was pushed out late last year. No issues, and there have been numerous cumulative updates. I expect smooth sailing on release day for once.

5 minutes ago, shockz said:

I've been running 20H1 since the final build was pushed out late last year. No issues, and there have been numerous cumulative updates. I expect smooth sailing on release day for once.

1909 was a pretty smooth release too and 2004 seems to have smoothed the process even more. I'm actually quite impressed with the improvements they're finally making with the upgrade processes.

edit: the only issue I had after upgrading to 2004 was I had to reinstall one driver. and I consider that a work in progress driver anyway. It was the app that allows you to use the Steam Controller as a normal xinput controller outside of Steam. Great for using it with Geforce Now 🙂

On 5/15/2020 at 9:09 AM, Brandon H said:

I've had no trouble with it since it released on the release preview ring so I don't see why not. Haven't really heard of anyone else having issues either with this one.

On 5/15/2020 at 9:57 AM, shockz said:

Good to hear. Hopefully this will be the start of a QA turnaround for MS. I'm still going to give it a couple of weeks before installing, though.

On 5/15/2020 at 2:09 PM, Brandon H said:

I have, a black screen all but the mouse cursor.

19 hours ago, NinjaGinger said:

I have, a black screen all but the mouse cursor.

whenever I've seen that in the past it's inductive of a graphics card driver issue. how old is your card and/or when was the last time the driver was updated?

7 minutes ago, NinjaGinger said:

Card is about 6 months old and the drivers are the latest build.

Did safe mode produce a working desktop?

20 minutes ago, NinjaGinger said:

nope

Try ctrl+alt+del > Task Manager> and start Windows Explorer by doing File > Run new task and starting explorer

SNAG-0000.png

Maybe tomorrow (May 19) or May 26 (rumoured).

The MSDN version is live, but not for 'regular' users.

Via UUP Dump you can download the iso's coming directly from Microsoft's servers (see my thread earlier here on Neowin). No, they're not the same as the MSDN (checksum is different, because of 'custom build' via UUP).

The preview/iso version of the Insiders build should be the same (no "official" confirmation on this yet), but also here the checksum might be different.