Laptop, is it better to buy a new one, or replace the battery on the old one?

My daughter's laptop needs a new battery, and apparently this will cost ~$100 or so, I am wondering if it is better to upgrade to a newer laptop rather then let the old one nickle and dime us to death. Also, this laptop will become my wife's and my daughter will be taking the desktop with her when she moves out, or shortly afterwards. All my wife needs is the computer to be able to play the Sims 4 and watch videos/basic internet stuff. So if it would be a better choice to buy a new one please suggest one that would fit these requirements.

why is the replacement battery so expensive?

what model is the laptop and how old is it? usually you can get reasonably priced replacement batteries on Amazon and the like if the OEM is fluffing the price.

19 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

why is the replacement battery so expensive?

what model is the laptop and how old is it? usually you can get reasonably priced replacement batteries on Amazon and the like if the OEM is fluffing the price.

Dell Latitude E7450 UltraBook, I am seeing them on Amazon for $50, but iirc, the one I did buy from Amazon did not fit the laptop, even though it was labeled as the correct model, etc I just checked the order history and indeed the one that I purchased for the laptop clearly said for the E7450, but it did not fit.

Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

Dell Latitude E7450 UltraBook, I am seeing them on Amazon for $50, but iirc, the one I did buy from Amazon did not fit the laptop, even though it was labeled as the correct model, etc

interesting, maybe it was just a one off crappy reseller. I've bought replacement batteries off amazon a few times without issues.

googling the model it looks like a fairly nice ultra book from 2016 with an i5. if you do replace the battery it should last you a good few more years at least I bet. Amazon still has the model going to 2 grand so $100 is a drop in the bucket if you do need to get the battery from Dell.

In any case here is what I'd recommend for a replacement if you do decide to go new.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoBook-Backlit-Keyboard-Wireless/dp/B084P9P7G1/

This is the laptop I got a few months ago and it's been treating me great. I got mine from Walmart in Windows S mode for half the price personally; only other difference is it came with 4gb ram instead of 8 but getting an extra ram stick was a cheap upgrade. It has an m.2 SSD in it so it boots and runs buttery smooth. The Ryzan 3 is the equivalent to an i3 so it does most tasks including lower end and older gaming. any upper end gaming I run Nvidia Geforce Now game streaming :)

Walmart listing if you're interested: https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-VivoBook-15-6-FHD-Display-AMD-Ryzen-3-3200U-4GB-DDR4-128GB-SSD-Windows-10-Home-in-S-mode-Slate-Gray-F512DA-WH31/700011839

What is S mode for windows? Does it allow for the major game launchers (Origin, steam, etc) to be installed?

Edited by jnelsoninjax

I always get my batteries from eBay. I had to get one for my Dell Vostro 15. Was only like $20. As long as the seller has good number rate. It is also a good thing if they take returns, and if they sell MANY batteries.

Unless it is dying, I think ~$100 isn't too much money.

Don't go with Dell. All they want is your wallet...

Dell's aren't picky about the battery. Like I know some Lonovo's that don't take generic batteries.

(I meant the laptop, not the battery in being dead)

3 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

What is S mode for windows? Does it allow for the major game launchers (Origin, steam, etc) to be installed?

Windows S is the mode that only allows you to install things from the Store app but it's free to switch out of it (Y) 

Lenovo laptops at Walmart, 14"non-glossy, 2.6ghz CPU, M2 SSD128, 5ghz,usb3

for 260 or so

ps: bought 16gb DDR4 2600 for replacement

22 minutes ago, Marujan said:

Lenovo laptops at Walmart, 14"non-glossy, 2.6ghz CPU, M2 SSD128, 5ghz,usb3

for 260 or so

ps: bought 16gb DDR4 2600 for replacement

Never heard of a Lenovo at WalMart.... I do know they have Acer and HP. And their own brand, whatever they call it...  nvm....

Edited by Mindovermaster

$100 for a battery? Holy crap!! Can get replacement batteries for laptops around here at Batteries and Bulbs all day long for $60 max and they will let you test to make sure it works first.

Even at $100, I wouldn't go buy another laptop when the one you have should be quite sufficient for a while still.

Edit: Heck, if you want to sell that laptop for $100, I might be willing to offer you that. ;)

Edited by cork1958

6 hours ago, Brandon H said:

interesting, maybe it was just a one off crappy reseller. I've bought replacement batteries off amazon a few times without issues.

googling the model it looks like a fairly nice ultra book from 2016 with an i5. if you do replace the battery it should last you a good few more years at least I bet. Amazon still has the model going to 2 grand so $100 is a drop in the bucket if you do need to get the battery from Dell.

In any case here is what I'd recommend for a replacement if you do decide to go new.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoBook-Backlit-Keyboard-Wireless/dp/B084P9P7G1/

This is the laptop I got a few months ago and it's been treating me great. I got mine from Walmart in Windows S mode for half the price personally; only other difference is it came with 4gb ram instead of 8 but getting an extra ram stick was a cheap upgrade. It has an m.2 SSD in it so it boots and runs buttery smooth. The Ryzan 3 is the equivalent to an i3 so it does most tasks including lower end and older gaming. any upper end gaming I run Nvidia Geforce Now game streaming :)

Walmart listing if you're interested: https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-VivoBook-15-6-FHD-Display-AMD-Ryzen-3-3200U-4GB-DDR4-128GB-SSD-Windows-10-Home-in-S-mode-Slate-Gray-F512DA-WH31/700011839

And I could list one at $50 trillion if I wanted.. It doesn't mean it will sell for that.

I'd argue calling it an Ultrabook is a bit generous even.  It's a decently specced laptop from 4 years ago that shouldn't fetch much more than $500 in good condition, which this one isn't.  Most aren't even hitting £250 in the UK, as refurbs.

So I found a battery for it on eBay for $25, ordered it and will see if that works!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

An update: The new battery was received on Monday, and my wife was very happy to see that it fit and that it worked! So I fixed the problem for $25 and have a happy wife!

11 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

An update: The new battery was received on Monday, and my wife was very happy to see that it fit and that it worked! So I fixed the problem for $25 and have a happy wife!

Told you, we did. 😛