Please help me identify what system partitions to delete

Question

I am really confused about this, I recently installed Windows 10 in my new laptop and now I have 6 partitions, I don´t know which one I can delete and wich one I must keep for recovery and booting, I am attaching a screenshot. I wish to keep as few partitions as possible, only if I the computer needs it.

Windows is installed in the C drive and within Windows I am able to browse into another 510MB partition that has some files called EFI, the other partitions are only visible in Disk Management but I can´t access them using Windows.

markedup.jpg

Edited by fastcat

6 answers to this question

You don't have to delete any Partition, all partition are System default partition, and they are not visible in Browser, so why are bothered anyways?

Or - and this is a shot in the dark - maybe don't erase the one called "recovery"? 

But yes, you would be losing just over 1GB of space if you keep it all intact. It's not worth the stress if you're not sure what you're doing.

2 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Something is fishy here. The first post in the other thread says it’s a new laptop and questions why manufacturers ship outdated drivers   but then it’s remembered it didn’t come with Windows installed?🤨

It came with something. And MS didn’t create that partition scheme. 

If it were me, I would clean install Windows 10 and level all the partitions, allowing it to partition it as expected. 

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Like 2

I agree with @adrynalyne here. It looks like a couple partitions got duplicated or something. That's more than the usual.

Deleting a partition won't do you any good either as the Windows Disk management doesn't have a good way to re-expand the other partitions once you delete one so that space will remain unused unless you just put a partition back and assign another drive letter.

If you haven't installed much yet or don't mind starting over I'd also suggest booting back into your Windows Install media, deleting all partitions when prompted, and letting the installer re-partition the drive as it sees fit. Usually it will only create 1 recovery partition, 1 EFI pertition (if UEFI BIOS), and the rest of the drive will be free use as the C drive.

• Like 2