Looking to set up a second monitor on my computer. What do I need?

I current have the following Dell computer and have one monitor hooked up via the HDMI port:

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-3847-core-i5-4460-3-2-ghz-8-gb-1-tb-led-18-5/

I'm looking to hook up a second monitor because the work at my job requires me to have it due to the multiple programs we use. While I have two monitors at my desk at work, sometimes I work from home and it's very difficult doing so with just one monitor.

This is my first time doing this, so I need some help. So I have a few questions..

1) My computer (linked above) has two ports- one HDMI and one VGA. I'm currently using the HDMI port for my one monitor. If I buy a second monitor and hook up via the VGA port, will it work? Not sure if this computer's graphics card is capable of doing that, so I'm not sure if anyone here can tell.

If the answer to #1 is no, then my next question would be...

2) What kind of adapter would I need? Please provide a link to some adapters as examples.

The reason why I need a little help is because when I tried researching, a lot of adapters seem to just do screen duplication, where it just shows the same image on both screens. What I want is a second monitor as an extended display. And I don't want to break the bank getting a real expensive adapter, so hopefully there is an inexpensive one out there. So, if there is a cost effective way of doing this, I'd appreciate if anyone here can help me with that.

VGA should work since they are both onboard.  Sometimes when an addon card is installed, it disables the onboard video but that does not seem to be the case here.  So VGA should be fine.  As far as the adapters showing duplicate and not extended screen...this is an OS option.

Some monitors do not come with VGA connections anymore so if you order one that does not have VGA, you may need a HDMI to VGA or DP to VGA adapter.  VGA may be blurry compared to the HDMI connection as well.  How it is thru the Dell USB-C docks.  So may be best to get an addon card with 2 HDMI or DP connections if you have issues with screen quality.

Edited by techbeck

27 minutes ago, techbeck said:

VGA should work since they are both onboard.  Sometimes when an addon card is installed, it disables the onboard video but that does not seem to be the case here.  So VGA should be fine.  As far as the adapters showing duplicate and not extended screen...this is an OS option.

Awesome, thanks. If that's the case, then this solves all my problems. Many websites say both can't be used, which is why I was panicking. But I guess most of these website assume that one of the ports is on an addon card, which is not the case with my PC.

The monitor I'm ordering supports either VGA or DP, so it's ok. And it's just a second monitor for work purposes, so I don't need anything fancy. I've used VGA before and never had an issue with the display quality.

All graphic cards, onboard or discrete, can run at least 2 monitors. Go above that, and you might have some trouble.

5 minutes ago, DaDude said:

Awesome, thanks. If that's the case, then this solves all my problems. Many websites say both can't be used, which is why I was panicking. But I guess most of these website assume that one of the ports is on an addon card, which is not the case with my PC.

The monitor I'm ordering supports either VGA or DP, so it's ok. And it's just a second monitor for work purposes, so I don't need anything fancy. I've used VGA before and never had an issue with the display quality.

From here, looks like it will work.

https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/Inspiron-3847-Dual-monitor-setup/td-p/4500523

Same model and question you had.

Only time I had an issue was when trying to use onboard video with an adapter card.  Which like I stated, many OEMs disable onboard when addon is present.  But again, does not look to be your case since both connections on onboard using the onboard video.