partition scheme and driver questions

i'll be switching hd next weekend. i'll dual boot linux w/ windows. however the disk is only 36gb and i have data/media that i want to access from both os. so i think i should create two 4-6 gb os partitions and use the rest as a share partition. last time i used linux (~5yrs ago), ntfs writes weren't safe. so i used fat32 to transfer between os. is ntfs write safe now or still no? is there another way for me to share data between os (would be nice if i had a big network file server)? i plan to use reiserfs w/ linux and ntfs w/ windows. don't think either os can read the other volume.

my other question concerns drivers/module for radeon 9600. i visited ati's website and they have linux drivers but its packaged in rpm. i plan to use gentoo so i doubt i can use rpm. the kernel probably contains driver for radeon already, but maybe its not the best one? i don't plan on playing any games but i still want the best driver i can get.

any replies would be appreciated.

I would avoid any NTFS writes in Linux.

Use a smaller FAT partition to share (cause Linux can still read NTFS fine, so you will only use the FAT to write from Linux.)

As far as ATI drivers go, they aren't the best at supporting Linux, but over the past several months, they have gotten better. If you want to use the RPM data, you can convert RPM to .tar.gz. I have heard of it in Slack (cause that's how they prefer to install). The program may be called rpm2gz or something like that...

Hope this is of some help.

Mark

To extract the contents of an rpm to the current working directory, use:

rpm2cpio atidriver.rpm | cpio -i --make-directories

and it will extract the contents and directory tree in the current directory.

rpm2cpio is located here. cpio should come with

all distributions.