do you still use windows mobile 6.5?

inspiration came from recent use of my old windows mobile smartphone ... and from a conversation here the other day about modern day android 'not having' windows mobile ( windows phone ? ) features ... i never did get a response when asked for specifics ...

anyway, in addition to the topic title question ...

... if you do not use windows mobile 6.5 is there anything you liked about it that you wish android or ios had ?

winmo-fam-02.thumb.jpg.a39e626c6892b5c55d6eb2d33bfa2373.jpg

i always thought it made more strides for touch than reviewers gave it credit for. the honeycomb app launcher also i thought was nice if ... not as practical as others ?

Hello,

I really miss the smartphone form-factors that had hardware keyboards, both slab versions (like Blackberry) and slide-out (like HTC).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 3/12/2020 at 3:09 PM, goretsky said:

Hello,

I really miss the smartphone form-factors that had hardware keyboards, both slab versions (like Blackberry) and slide-out (like HTC).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

you only miss the hardware form factors ?

i am surprised no one chimed in with ... thoughts about their first windows mobile device, et al.

there was some lively discussion at an apparent competitor. i had hoped to amass the same commentaries here.

not even the user who claimed it had more than android is here ... so much for that !

Hello,

Windows Mobile 6.5 was okay for the time.  As far as the user interface went, it more closely resembled Windows 95 and didn't deviate too far from that--the hex or staggered layout was okay.  Windows Phone 7's UI, which was derived in part from Zune, was much more innovative in my opinion.  Sadly, neither the Zune nor Windows Phone were successes in the market.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Windows Mobile 6.5 was okay for the time.  As far as the user interface went, it more closely resembled Windows 95 and didn't deviate too far from that--the hex or staggered layout was okay.  Windows Phone 7's UI, which was derived in part from Zune, was much more innovative in my opinion.  Sadly, neither the Zune nor Windows Phone were successes in the market.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

thank you for responding again !

may i ask what you thought of the Windows Mobile 6.0 ( or even 6.1 ) interface? More of the same from Pocket PC 2000, of course, but ...

additionally ... did you yourself ever own a WM device ?

• 6 months later...
On 12/03/2020 at 22:09, goretsky said:

Hello,

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I never used Windows Mobile, all of my really old phones usually ran some sort of Verizon operating system, (sometimes VCast,) but I haven't had any of the phones I used to have for years now other than the one I'm using now.  (A Galaxy S7.)  I wish I still had them, honestly.

On my HTC Touch Diamond was WM 6.5 installed. I had to hard-reboot at least 3 times a week to get this and have thing running. Total pain.

Glad I switched the next year to the iPhone 3GS and all other ‘S’ versions of the iPhone.

• 1 year later...

My first WinCE device was the iPAQ H3660. It lost all storage if the battery ran out and amount of light that leaked sideways from the display could light up a football pitch. Still, I could play Solitaire on the john years before iOS / Android arrived.

I remember being disappointed that the HD2 didn't get WP7, until we found out that you couldn't just compile and run your own things on it.

I remember having lots of Sony Ericssons at 00s. I ignored BlackBerrys, Nokias, or other kind of phones. 

When the fist iPhone was announced in 2007, I tried to ignore it, because I hated so much Apple at that time xD. (don't really know why; maybe because I was a Windows fanboy).

At the end of 2008, I bought a Sony Ericsson Xperia X1, with Windows Mobile 6.1. Great features, reasonably stable, and particularly good keyboard. And it had Windows! xD

I spent all 2009 and the first half of 2010 with him. But the limitations of the platform started to notice (Web browsing, lack of Apps, paltry touch support), while the iPhone was evolving with new features (both HW and SW), even the original one.

Then, I replaced my phone with a Sony Ericsson Xperia X2, with WP 6.5. Natural upgrade, right? Well, except for the keyboard that was even better, it turns out to be a disaster: full of errors, instability, Software problems. It was, by far, the worst mobile phone that I ever had in my life (sometimes even calls crashed the entire phone). Really.

At the end, on October 2010, I had enough of that POS, and I replaced it with an iPhone 4, launch day in my country. Never looked back. Only iPhones since then (currently with an 11 Pro Max).

So, the experience with Windows Mobile 6.5 was SO bad for me, that it convinced me, in any or other way, to switch to iPhone.

BTW, I still hate the display keyboards. xD