• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

  • 0

Home 10gb - switch??

Question

+forster    153

So I'm a networking scrub - I have my main PC and my Freenas server. I'm considering two of these to speed up transfer speeds. And some cable to link them together. However, do I need a 10gb switch inbetween, or can I connect these directly to each other and have 10gbe? Where's the DHCP coming from? I guess I might be missing something. I'm also drunk and cant focus correctly. Forgive me.

 

Thanks :shifty:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
neufuse    4,135

That should of been

 

10Mbit, 100Mbit, 1GbE, 2.5GbE, 5GbE ,10GbE supported, don't know where 6 came from :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+forster    153

UK based is this one, I really should probably watch some YT videos on the whole thing, I'm not going to pull the trigger while the room is spinning, but I am very grateful for your advice dude. Cheers :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brandon H    3,510

:rofl: drunken research is sometimes the best research lol

 

 

on topic though; technically you can use a cross-over cable to plug the 2 devices directly together and set a static IP to both but having a device in between to act as a gateway/DHCP makes things overall easier (Y)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+forster    153

So the barrier to entry, cost wise, in the UK anyway for two cables, two cards and a switch is £418 - as a thought experiment it's been worthwhile.

 

Id do the crossover thing, but I think I'd rather buy something a bit more robust for future proofing, but this is way above budget and way above my needs for transferring porn files.

 

Thanks for the input, 1gb is getting annoyingly slow, I think Ill just wait and see what happens technology wise. I could aggregate 1gb connections, but part of me feels that there's something more future-proof just around the corner!

 

Cheers guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Fahim S.    1,098
20 minutes ago, forster said:

So I'm a networking scrub - I have my main PC and my Freenas server. I'm considering two of these to speed up transfer speeds. And some cable to link them together. However, do I need a 10gb switch inbetween, or can I connect these directly to each other and have 10gbe? Where's the DHCP coming from? I guess I might be missing something. I'm also drunk and cant focus correctly. Forgive me.

 

Thanks :shifty:

The cable you've linked to won't work with the card you've linked to.

The cable is has SFP+ termination whereas the card has RJ45.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+forster    153
1 minute ago, Fahim S. said:

The cable you've linked to won't work with the card you've linked to.

The cable is has SFP+ termination whereas the card has RJ45.

Im a total noob, forgive me for probably asking something stupid - but Cat7 is 10gb compatible, would that work fine instead of the SFP+?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brandon H    3,510
2 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

The cable you've linked to won't work with the card you've linked to.

The cable is has SFP+ termination whereas the card has RJ45.

ah good catch. yeah it would be a Cat7 ethernet cable OP would want for 10gb support

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veetop-Ethernet-Network-Shielded-Connector/dp/B00XU1MXH4/

Just now, forster said:

Im a total noob, forgive me for probably asking something stupid - but Cat7 is 10gb compatible, would that work fine instead of the SFP+?

jynx :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Fahim S.    1,098
1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

ah good catch. yeah it would be a Cat7 ethernet cable OP would want for 10gb support

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veetop-Ethernet-Network-Shielded-Connector/dp/B00XU1MXH4/

jynx :)

 

Cat5e can handle 10GbE at a short enough distance.  Certainly good enough for most (UK) houses

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+forster    153
Just now, Fahim S. said:

 

Cat5e can handle 10GbE at a short enough distance.  Certainly good enough for most (UK) houses

Hmm, I have Cat6 on my local connections, I just dont want to have that 'oh crap' moment if I picked up all the expensive bits then forgot about the ties that bind them together!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brandon H    3,510
Just now, Fahim S. said:

 

Cat5e can handle 10GbE at a short enough distance.  Certainly good enough for most (UK) houses

yeah but ethernet cables are cheap (especially if you just buy the cable and do the ends yourself) so may as well go for the full guaranteed support IMO :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+forster    153

Also, PC on the left, server on the right :) distance is not an issue tbh

0.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
neufuse    4,135

if you got systems that close together I'd go with the 10GbE cross over and static them together... that or get two SFP+ 10GbE cards and do a DAC connection

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+forster    153
2 minutes ago, neufuse said:

if you got systems that close together I'd go with the 10GbE cross over and static them together... that or get two SFP+ 10GbE cards and do a DAC connection

Yeah Im looking at the crossover solution right now, so we have two of these cards, and one of these cables - its not a crossover, but this is a crossover and its listed as 1gb, not 10gb so Im kind of confused.

 

On the flipside, we have this SFP+ card, and an SFP+ cable - is there such thing as an SFP+ crossover, for no middle-man switch (manually assigning IPs) or would the listed cable here work fine?

 

Thanks for continued support, its very much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
DaveLegg    1,017

You don't need a crossover cable - anything that's 1gig or more will support auto-crossover (it's part of the spec). If you're getting an SFP DAC cable, there's no such thing as a crossover.

 

So yes, you should be fine with either the SFP or ethernet options you've listed

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+forster    153
4 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

You don't need a crossover cable - anything that's 1gig or more will support auto-crossover (it's part of the spec). If you're getting an SFP DAC cable, there's no such thing as a crossover.

 

So yes, you should be fine with either the SFP or ethernet options you've listed

You're my hero, thank you :) I resisted the urge to pull the trigger last night, will see how things go over the next few weeks and see how much I need to invest in face masks, toilet rolls and hand sanitizer and go from there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brandon H    3,510
6 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

You don't need a crossover cable - anything that's 1gig or more will support auto-crossover (it's part of the spec). If you're getting an SFP DAC cable, there's no such thing as a crossover.

 

So yes, you should be fine with either the SFP or ethernet options you've listed

good point; I keep forgetting auto-crossover is a thing with gig+ as I haven't worked with gig setups much personally (Y)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
neufuse    4,135
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

good point; I keep forgetting auto-crossover is a thing with gig+ as I haven't worked with gig setups much personally (Y)

I still call them a cross over cable because that is technically what they are doing still just not at the physical cable level😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+forster    153

Sata 3 4tb drives aren’t really going to fly I’d guess, even if raided. And I don’t have bulk pcie storage? It’s going to bottle neck pretty hard right? Again, super noob so bear with me :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brandon H    3,510
5 minutes ago, forster said:

Sata 3 4tb drives aren’t really going to fly I’d guess, even if raided. And I don’t have bulk pcie storage? It’s going to bottle neck pretty hard right? Again, super noob so bear with me :) 

SATA3 I think would be fine; the bigger bottle neck I think would be depending on if they're HDDs or SSDs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
adrynalyne    13,078
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

SATA3 I think would be fine; the bigger bottle neck I think would be depending on if they're HDDs or SSDs

For 10Gb, I would want pcie/nvme drives. 1Gb can top out at 123MB/s. Sata3 SSDs usually peak at what, 540MB/s?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+forster    153
4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

For 10Gb, I would want pcie/nvme drives. 1Gb can top out at 123MB/s. Sata3 SSDs usually peak at what, 540MB/s?

Yeah its a 6g/sec connection at SATA3 - hmmm.... the plot thickens, thank you both for verifying :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brandon H    3,510
5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

For 10Gb, I would want pcie/nvme drives. 1Gb can top out at 123MB/s. Sata3 SSDs usually peak at what, 540MB/s?

good to know

 

how much difference is there in potential speeds between SATA3 and PCIE? I've heard PCIE drives can be a bit faster but I've never looked into how much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
adrynalyne    13,078
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

good to know

 

how much difference is there in potential speeds between SATA3 and PCIE? I've heard PCIE drives can be a bit faster but I've never looked into how much.

On average, 4 to 5 times faster, when looking at sequential transfer speeds.

 

Could also raid 0 sata3 SSDs and not bottleneck the 10Gb connection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.