Is it worth buying a new router for faster internet speed?

I used to have 100 Mbps internet and it’s always been perfectly fine. Never had an issue internet surfing or streaming. But my cable company had a promotion where I can get 155 Mbps speed for $20 less per month. So I took it, but I just realized, after the fact, that my router only goes up to 100 Mbps. So I’m not getting 155 Mbps even tho my service is giving it to me. So I need to buy a new router that is capable of 155 Mbps or more but that would be spending another $100.

Is it worth buying a new router for $100 to get that extra speed? Would the speed increase from 100 to 155 Mbps be worth the extra cost of a new router?

PS- I live alone so I’m the only one that uses the internet.

11 minutes ago, DaDude said:

I used to have 100 Mbps internet and it’s always been perfectly fine. Never had an issue internet surfing or streaming. But my cable company had a promotion where I can get 155 Mbps speed for $20 less per month. So I took it, but I just realized, after the fact, that my router only goes up to 100 Mbps. So I’m not getting 155 Mbps even tho my service is giving it to me. So I need to buy a new router that is capable of 155 Mbps or more but that would be spending another $100.

Is it worth buying a new router for $100 to get that extra speed? Would the speed increase from 100 to 155 Mbps be worth the extra cost of a new router?

PS- I live alone so I’m the only one that uses the internet.

We need to know what you have now. 

You need to look at other factors. Do you have Gigabit ethernet in the computer? If not then getting a gigabit router is pointless but the way to go if you upgrade since that future proofs you for a good bit.

Ubiquiti hardware is likely the best way to go.... stand alone router and then purchase an access point.

4 minutes ago, sava700 said:

You need to look at other factors. Do you have Gigabit ethernet in the computer? If not then getting a gigabit router is pointless but the way to go if you upgrade since that future proofs you for a good bit.

Ubiquiti hardware is likely the best way to go.... stand alone router and then purchase an access point.

I plugged the modem directly to the computer as a test and got about 160 Mbps. Plugged it back through the router and it’s now back to around 90 Mbps. So it’s definitely the router.

18 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

We need to know what you have now. 

I already told you. My service is 155 Mbps. But router only accepts up to 100 Mbps, so my speed is being dumbed down by the router.

2 minutes ago, DaDude said:

I plugged the modem directly to the computer as a test and got about 160 Mbps. Plugged it back through the router and it’s now back to around 90 Mbps. So it’s definitely the router.

I already told you. My service is 155 Mbps. But router only accepts up to 100 Mbps, so my speed is being dumbed down by the router.

No you sure didn’t. When replacing a device, it is customary to tell people what you are replacing. 

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

No you sure didn’t. When replacing a device, it is customary to tell people what you are replacing. 

I’m replacing my 100 Mbps router with a 1 Gbps router so I can get the 155 Mbps speed. I’m sorry, but not sure where the disconnect is with my question. It’s pretty straightforward what I’m asking.

Just now, DaDude said:

I’m replacing my 100 Mbps router with a 1 Gbps router so I can get the 155 Mbps speed. I’m sorry, but not sure where the disconnect is with my question. It’s pretty straightforward what I’m asking.

I’m done here. Have fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DaDude said:

Brand and model helps too.

• Like 2

Let me try one more time. Is the speed increase from 100 Mbps to 155 Mbps worth it? That is essentially all I am asking. If yes, I will buy the router to support it.

Thats really all I’m asking, folks. Not asking for help in solving the DaVinci Code. 

6 minutes ago, DaDude said:

Let me try one more time. Is the speed increase from 100 Mbps to 155 Mbps worth it? That is essentially all I am asking. If yes, I will buy the router to support it.

Thats really all I’m asking, folks. Not asking for help in solving the DaVinci Code. 

Well, I could have saved you money, but you are so combative and difficult, I dunno if anyone is gonna help you. Certainly not me. 

3 minutes ago, DaDude said:

Wow your attitude is rude and unnecessary.  The question is easily answered, if you want to utilize the faster speed, then that is up to you.  Obvious for most people.

18 minutes ago, DaDude said:

Let us try one more time. BRAND?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Raze said:

Wow your attitude is rude and unnecessary.  The question is easily answered, if you want to utilize the faster speed, then that is up to you.  Obvious for most people.

Not trying to be rude but my question is something that should be very easily understood. But people are making it seem like I’m asking the most technical savvy question out there and then refusing to answer.

if you guys want to give me a hard time and not answer the question, then so be it. I have no time to deal with this internet bullying right now...

3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Let us try one more time. BRAND?

Netgear, but what does brand have to do with the question at hand???

• Facepalm 3

5 minutes ago, DaDude said:

Netgear, but what does brand have to do with the question at hand???

You ask us for information, but you don't answer our questions?

Brand and model mean a lot for networking. There's no "one router that rules them all"

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

He should fight with BudMan. Now that's quite a battle...

LOL.

Can someone explain to me why he picked a fight with people just because they wanted to know the brand and model of his current device, and then called them Internet bullies?

1 hour ago, DaDude said:

You are the only person that can answer this question.  If you are happy with it as it is, then no.  If you are not, then yes.

28 minutes ago, DaDude said:

Ok guys. Forget about it. You guys want to give me a hard time, then have fun.

goodbye!! 

You said you upgraded your internet speed from 100 to 150, discovered that your router was only capable of 100 and then wanted to know if buying a faster router was worth it.  I would think since you did decide to upgrade the speed it would make sense to upgrade your router to use the speed available.  So yes it's worth the expense as long as it is what YOU want.  We do not know your financial situation or anything else.  Also our questions about the brand and model of the router was to verify its capabilities.  We were answering your questions by trying to get more information to better inform you.  But since you think we're bullies, perhaps you should take your rude self somewhere else.

We are/were trying to help.

• Like 2

"155 Mbps speed for $20 less per month"

If the sole reason was the $20 less per month ... and you are satisfied with your internet then no.  Of course, if this is some promotional deal where your cost will go up in x months ... then at that time it may be worth looking at getting a faster router or going back to whatever speed you had prior to the deal.  

The reason folks are asking for the brand/model is to verify its capabilities (vs. some other issue) ... not to insult you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Classic Neowin thread in the making. 

Is your router ancient? If you bought one in the last decade, and spent more than 20 bucks on it, it’s probably a 1 gig interface already. 

Or better yet, stop being ridiculous and post the make and model of your router so we can confirm whether or not your wan and network ports are rated 100mbit or 1gig. 

Is 55mbit worth it? On a 155mbit connection, absolutely 

Edited by shockz
  • Like 2

Question, what router does he have if it only has a limit of 100gbps? Plus, where is he getting this said info?

Most all routers since 2010 are all 1 gig... 10/100/1000...

2 hours ago, DaDude said:

Ok guys. Forget about it. You guys want to give me a hard time, then have fun.

goodbye!! 

Jesus what the hell is your problem, if you want help then give us the answer to the important question that everyone is asking!!!

It was a simple and important question.

What make and model of router are you replacing? Eventually you provided the Make but that means nothing without  the exact model number.

And no one here is being a bully.

• Like 2

When going from 100 to 155, it really boils down to what you use your internet for. If all you do is stream video, browse the web, look at Facebook and watch youtube, then 100 megs should be plenty. If you are constantly downloading large files from the internet, then the 55 meg will upgrade reduce the time it takes to do so.

If you know for a fact your router only does 100 megs, that means you have a really really really old router and if you want those shorter download times by switching to 155 megs, then yes you will have to upgrade your router, which everyone that may be.

I'm sure you are aware that any device you will be hardwiring to a new router would also have to be able to do more than 100 megs. Ethernet wise you would have to have some pretty old gear if it still only does 100 and not 1000.

Your antient 100 meg router lasted you this long so a $100 router should last you years and should be a substantial upgrade from what you are currently using. If you are going to buy a new router, I would recommend getting one that supports Wireless AC.

If the 155 is $20 cheaper than the 100 then in 5 months time the saving will have paid for the new router.

Wow....   This is like going into a auto parts supplier and saying "I need brakes for my car" and not knowing or giving them any information as for the make and model. You can't help anyone like this.