How to prevent videos from following you down a page?

Hi, one of the most annoying features of web design and our modern world is the habit many sites have of causing a video to follow you down a page when you're reading an article. Whoever thought this was a great idea and caused it to become an almost universal feature of modern web design needs a serious ass whooping in my view. Sites like the BBC News site, CNN and many others do it.

I don't even know what this feature is called between developers, but it's exceptionally annoying. If I scroll away from a video it usually means I don't care about watching it any more, or I'm happy to listen to the audio while reading the article. So the question is, are there any extensions for Chrome and Firefox that would disable this feature and prevent it from happening?

I'm going to take a guess and say Adguard (with annoyances enabled) or Adblock Plus and if it doesn't block it by default you can set a filter? 

No that just blocks the video completely. Ijust want to stop videos tracking me down a page when I read articles. Also your method is completely site specific. If you don't understand what I'm talking about go to CNN start a video and then try to read the article. The video tracks/follows you down the page as you read. But thousands of websites now do this.

I'm not sure if there's a universal solution out there since not every site implements it the same.

you may be able to setup or find site specific userscripts for Tampermonkey or something.

13 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

Even if you stop the video?

Sometimes yes I think. Have you never seen this or something? Hundreds of sites I have visited do it.

4 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I'm not sure if there's a universal solution out there since not every site implements it the same.

you may be able to setup or find site specific userscripts for greasemonkey or something.

Do you know of any useful scripts that can facilitate this for the major news sites? It would be a start at least.

7 minutes ago, jebus197 said:

Do you know of any useful scripts that can facilitate this for the major news sites? It would be a start at least.

I don't know of any personally; the only thing I use Tampermonkey for currently is a better youtube userscript for auto pausing videos (while still allowing them to buffer) and such.

If any tool has a solution for you though a userscript would be my best bet as modifying website looks and functionality is what it does (Y) 

https://www.tampermonkey.net/scripts.php

Looks like Greasy Fork is the most used site where people store their scripts right now; you might be able to find one there. Or look at a couple tutorials to write your own simple script. In its most simple use it's just altering CSS and Javascript on a page live.

there's a cooking site i like - Serious Eats - that'll autoplay videos on the right side of the page. i try using AdBlock to stop the videos, but it doesnt work. another video gets queued. i'd also love to figure out how to stop the auto-scrolling videos.

i'd also like to figure out how to stop the auto-scrolling images on certain webpages. there will be an image of whatever, then 3s later it scrolls to the next image and so on. it drives me insane.