RDP .- how to work with Remote-Desktop-Programmes on MX

hello dear Experts, 

the topic of today:  RDP .- how to work with Remote-Desktop-Programmes on MX

due to corona i am working in home office - here on my linux box. 

therefore i need to be able to work with our companys terminal server - which sends me a rdp-file ... 

i cannot open or proceed to connect to the server (ad i do normally if i am on windows)

so the question is: what can i do now: with this  RDP .- how to work with Remote-Desktop-Programmes on MX

i have seen the article here https://opensource.com/article/18/6/linux-remote-desktop

these connections are made using remote desktop connection software, and there are many options available. I use Remmina because I like its minimal, easy-to-use user interface (UI). It's written in GTK+ and is open source under the GNU GPL license.

In this article, I'll explain how to use the Remmina client to connect remotely from a Linux computer to a Windows 10 system and a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 system.

Install Remmina on Linux

First, you need to install Remmina on the computer you'll use to access the other computer(s) remotely. If you're using Fedora, you can run the following command to install Remmina:

sudo dnf install -y remmina

well this does not work - how to proceed!?

It isn't in MXPI?

Isn't dnf Fedora/Red Hat ... while MX would use dpkg or apt since it is Debian based?

I don't really use Linux anymore...so I could be very much wrong...but I thought the command lines were different depending on distro.

Edit: Moved to the Linux forum.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Jim K said:

It isn't in MXPI?

Isn't dnf Fedora/Red Hat ... while MX would use dpkg or apt since it is Debian based?

I don't really use Linux anymore...so I could be very much wrong...but I thought the command lines were different depending on distro.

Edit: Moved to the Linux forum.

You are correct. 

good day dear adrynalyne, Mindovermaster, Jim K

many thanks for the quick answer - and for all your ideas - and knowledge-sharing. 

Mindovermaster:

Jim is correct. DNF is Red Hat, not Debian-based... MX uses apt-get.

Jim K :

thanks to you all - for setting me straight. 

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=43548

It's in Debian Backports and should install using Package Installer.
and ....Went to Synaptic and turned on the backport repositories long enough to get what I needed.
Tested connecting to a windows machine and it's working,

and .... Our newer version of MX package installer also allow you to just install one package from backports, 
and handles adding and removing the repo automatically.

thanks to you all  

have a great day. 

greetings 😊

• Facepalm 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, for a start, if you're not in fact running Fedora, then that particular command wouldn't work anyway.....I believe the Zypper PM is Fedora's installer of choice.
What distro are you running? Let us know that, and we can take it from there.
Alternatively, take a look at Anydesk:-
Works well under Linux, and you can run it in 'portable' format, without needing to install. TeamViewer used to be the 'go-to' app of choice for this, but its insistence on Qt5 this last couple of years means it's hopelessly bloated for what it is; TV itself is over 50 MB, and then you can factor in a couple of hundred MB for the Qt5 environment. Which is just ridiculous, when you consider that Anydesk get away with just a few MB, AND it just 'works'.

7 hours ago, Dhruv Mehta said:

Well, for a start, if you're not in fact running Fedora, then that particular command wouldn't work anyway.....I believe the Zypper PM is Fedora's installer of choice.
Works well under Linux, and you can run it in 'portable' format, without needing to install. TeamViewer used to be the 'go-to' app of choice for this, but its insistence on Qt5 this last couple of years means it's hopelessly bloated for what it is; TV itself is over 50 MB, and then you can factor in a couple of hundred MB for the Qt5 environment. Which is just ridiculous, when you consider that Anydesk get away with just a few MB, AND it just 'works'.

He's using MXLinux. Like we said, DNF isn't a Debian command.

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2020 at 3:52 PM, Dhruv Mehta said:

Yeah, so let him go to the sys admins at work and ask to load some random remote control software on the servers. Probably not a good idea, and I'd suspect he'd just end up with a console connection instead of RDP. 

Do yourself a favour - ask work to provide you with a PC that will work out of the box, otherwise install what's required to make it work as intended (Windows).  

8 hours ago, Jared- said:

Do yourself a favour - ask work to provide you with a PC that will work out of the box, otherwise install what's required to make it work as intended (Windows).  

You do understand this is a Linux forum, right?

While I agree this is a linux section.. Kind of agree with the why is work not providing him the tools he needs?

Did he overwrite the hardware work gave him with linux.. I mean if the public schools can hand out hardware for students to use in this time of need.. Shoot my 5 year old grandson got a tablet from school for his school "work"

How is company can not provide their workers with what they need to work from home?  If linux is one of their supported OSes - Then they should provide him instructions, etc.

While this is for sure a valid question, how to connect to windows remote desktop from linux OS.. I have reservations about the actual context of the question.

9 minutes ago, BudMan said:

While this is for sure a valid question

Is it?  He posts a lot of stuff that I feel has another agenda.

In general the question is valid for this section is what I meant.. How do you remote desktop to windows in linux..

But yeah I concur I don't buy the questions context either ;)