• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

  • 0
Sign in to follow this  

Wifi vs wired connection

Question

Bruinator    46

Hi Guys,

 

I pay for 100/100 up/dl speeds. My wired connection gets results close to that. However, when I check my wifi connection, I get 50/50 from my 2 windows PC's. The wifi connection on my MAC gets 100/100. This happens whether there is a single wifi connection is used at a time or if there are 3.

 

What would cause this and how can I get better results on my wifi connections plz?

 

Thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
+BudMan    3,694

Well then yeah your never ever going to get 100, and to be honest 50 seems unlikely at that connection rate..  That would be 69% of phy... that would be stars are all aligned sort of thing... You maybe rounded up that you got 50.. Or maybe your bouncing about on your connection and had something a bit higher etc..

 

What is the specific wifi card?  Is prob an N card, only doing 1 stream... So yeah  Your limited..  Get new card, or a usb stick for it...  you can get cheap little sticks that can do AC..

 

something like this, tiny little thing that you will barely notice sticking out

https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-Adapter-Supports-MU-MIMO-EW-7822ULC/dp/B01MY7PL10

 

$20 should be able to do your 100mbps internet..  I have one of their older models for my wifes old laptop that got back in 2015 that still works..

 

72% you sure your not looking at signal strength... It would say the speed not a %

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1
+BudMan    3,694

ok lets do it this way so sure we are looking at the same thing..

 

from cmd prompt do a

netsh show wlan all

 

from there you will get a bunch of info - find the info for your connection and it will show you both your RX and TX connection rates..  Post a screenshot of that - hide your SSID if you want

info.thumb.jpg.932fc13bc436eb4f3495d48a1cfcdbde.jpg

 

I have a hard time buying that your getting 70% for your connection if your PHY is only 72..  That would be unheard off..

 

This info will also show us if your N or ac.. and can tell from the channel if your on 2.4 or 5ghz...

 

netsh wlan show interfaces

 

Might be easier - less info!!

 

showint.thumb.jpg.cf2d74c203fdfa77e3c705e8ed899eda.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1
+BudMan    3,694

Yes you can see, you have to do it from a cmd prompt.. run the cmd first so you get the pretty box..

 

cmd.thumb.jpg.bae3540c3d621ae5d324a0111026667b.jpg

 

How is people don't know how to get a cmd prompt?

 

click windowkey + r you get the run box

 

cmdrun.thumb.jpg.b1b67c7c5c4c3e8d53bfdc7e7ad73a0c.jpg

 

In that pretty black box you get, then do the netsh wlan show interfaces

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1
+BudMan    3,694

Well no your never going to get 100/100 with that 72 mbps connection both rx and tx..  Your card is only connected at 2.4 your on channel 11..  So no there is no way you will see 100 mbps with that connection.. That your seeing 50 is amazing.. I would say more like 43 would be good at 60% phy...

 

You need to get new wireless card for your laptop, either a new internal one.. Or some usb stick - see the one I linked too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
DoctorD    186

I have more questions to try and help, router model, what are the wireless adapters example: Realtek, Broadcom, etc.  are the wireless drivers updated from the chip manufacturer, modem model, are they windows machines, what is your Primary and secondary DNS, bla bla bla…..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    3,208

Oh, @BudMan....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+BudMan    3,694

What are the wifi clients wireless cards..

 

100mbps over wireless is not that difficult these days..  But maybe these windows machines are only N and only 2.4, while you mac is AC and connecting.

 

What does your windows pc show its connecting at?  You can click the properties of the wifi interface and show that..

 

example

 

wifi.thumb.jpg.b0a2c8fc471916db6da21da7014fef03.jpg

 

So the connect PHY or line speed of that wifi connection is 72Mbps, this is not what you can see in real world.. This is like the wire speed, you can expect say 50 to 60% of that because of the extra overhead... So with a PHY only 72mbps - about 35mbps real world would be what you could expect to see..

 

So on your windows machines what are you reporting..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Bruinator    46
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, BudMan said:

What are the wifi clients wireless cards..

 

100mbps over wireless is not that difficult these days..  But maybe these windows machines are only N and only 2.4, while you mac is AC and connecting.

 

What does your windows pc show its connecting at?  You can click the properties of the wifi interface and show that..

 

example

 

wifi.thumb.jpg.b0a2c8fc471916db6da21da7014fef03.jpg

 

So the connect PHY or line speed of that wifi connection is 72Mbps, this is not what you can see in real world.. This is like the wire speed, you can expect say 50 to 60% of that because of the extra overhead... So with a PHY only 72mbps - about 35mbps real world would be what you could expect to see..

 

So on your windows machines what are you reporting..

What is the exact path to where that graph is located plz? I assume it is on lower right hand corner of pc  then right click on open network settings and then what plz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+BudMan    3,694

You don't know where your network interfaces are?

 

Control Panel \ Network and Internet \ Network Connections

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Bruinator    46

it is 72%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Bruinator    46

here are my results from several tests:

 

image.thumb.png.8c6445425fe7577ad94859935ccf34ec.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Bruinator    46
4 minutes ago, BudMan said:

ok lets do it this way so sure we are looking at the same thing..

 

from cmd prompt do a

netsh show wlan all

 

from there you will get a bunch of info - find the info for your connection and it will show you both your RX and TX connection rates..  Post a screenshot of that - hide your SSID if you want

info.thumb.jpg.932fc13bc436eb4f3495d48a1cfcdbde.jpg

 

I have a hard time buying that your getting 70% for your connection if your PHY is only 72..  That would be unheard off..

 

This info will also show us if your N or ac.. and can tell from the channel if your on 2.4 or 5ghz...

Is this the exact command:  netsh show wlan all  because i get command not found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Bruinator    46
4 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Yes you can see, you have to do it from a cmd prompt.. run the cmd first so you get the pretty box..

 

cmd.thumb.jpg.bae3540c3d621ae5d324a0111026667b.jpg

 

 

   https://imgur.com/pvH5UQL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Bruinator    46

I see. That makes sence. TYVM for all your help Budman  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+BudMan    3,694

So something like this could work

https://www.amazon.com/710661-001-Intel-Wireless-ac-7260-Pci-express/dp/B00PDLCFL8

 

This would be a replacement internal card that could do AC.. Keep in mind you need to validate it will work with your laptop.. Some makers blacklist in bios, but quick google shows that should work with HP laptops..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Bruinator    46
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, BudMan said:

 

How is people don't know how to get a cmd prompt?

 

click windowkey + r you get the run box

 

cmdrun.thumb.jpg.b1b67c7c5c4c3e8d53bfdc7e7ad73a0c.jpg

 

In that pretty black box you get, then do the netsh wlan show interfaces

 

 

 

I've known that for over 20 yrs !!!! The command didnt work on my PC yesterday and on my desktop today and today it does on my laptop. Go figure......

 

image.thumb.png.e83b60121acb8369b9ad17f196410e31.png

Edited by Bruinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Nick H.    10,486
28 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

I've known that for over 20 yrs !!!! The command dont work on any of my pc's.

You must be entering the command wrong, I just did a test to make sure and it works perfectly fine on all my Windows machines. 🤔

 

netsh wlan show interfaces

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Bruinator    46
8 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

You must be entering the command wrong, I just did a test to make sure and it works perfectly fine on all my Windows machines. 🤔

 

netsh wlan show interfaces

Maybe cut and paste caused it but then again i did the same today and it worked. Go figure   :scratcheshead:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+BudMan    3,694

Ah I think I see your problem, seems I reversed it when I typed it out, if you copied paste vs looking in the image I posted with the output..  Then yeah it makes sense.. Sorry about that!

 

ooops.thumb.jpg.f1de21cdca454727d73c8fb00228ab2b.jpg

 

 

Its wlan show, not show wlan 😉

 

So you going to get new card? New laptop? Usb stick? On a PC - why would you not wire that! 😉 Not like you moving the pc about the place all the time is it 😉

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Bruinator    46
Posted (edited)

No probs as you were a big help. Yes, I bought the card you recommended. :)   My desktop is wired as it's 3 ft from my router. :) . My i ask the program you use when you place arrows in your illustrations and covering private info with black boxes plz? I use paint but it looks like crap. 

Edited by Bruinator
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+BudMan    3,694

Hope you validated that card will work in your actual laptop!  That was just meant as an example.

 

oh that is faststone capture... used it for years, slick little piece of software.. I use it daily to be sure.. Well worth the $20 lifetime...

https://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

 

Does all kinds of neat stuff... I use it for manipulation of all kinds of images as well.. resizing images for use in say mp3 cover art. Or for plex stuff.  Big feature I like is the ability to take scrolling screenshots, or and joining images to together.. Highly recommend... I have been using it since like forever, it use to be freeware 😉  But went pay many years ago (2007 I think), and was well worth the cost.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Bruinator    46
On 3/28/2020 at 10:40 AM, BudMan said:

Well then yeah your never ever going to get 100, and to be honest 50 seems unlikely at that connection rate..  That would be 69% of phy... that would be stars are all aligned sort of thing... You maybe rounded up that you got 50.. Or maybe your bouncing about on your connection and had something a bit higher etc..

 

What is the specific wifi card?  Is prob an N card, only doing 1 stream... So yeah  Your limited..  Get new card, or a usb stick for it...  you can get cheap little sticks that can do AC..

 

something like this, tiny little thing that you will barely notice sticking out

https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-Adapter-Supports-MU-MIMO-EW-7822ULC/dp/B01MY7PL10

 

$20 should be able to do your 100mbps internet..  I have one of their older models for my wifes old laptop that got back in 2015 that still works..

 

72% you sure your not looking at signal strength... It would say the speed not a %

Can someone tell me if this net card is compatible with my laptop https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/X550ZA/specifications/      plz?

 

TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+BudMan    3,694

That is not a net card, that is a usb dongle - yeah it will work with anything! 😉  So you ordered that and not the internal card - then sure you will be fine.

 

The link to your laptop, specs don't list any usb ports at all??  WTF??  Then no that dongle wouldn't work - hehehe

 

Ok there something odd on there page, it lists this

 

1 x COMBO audio jack
1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
2 x
1 x RJ45 LAN jack for LAN insert
1 x HDMI

 

Take it the 2 x is the usb ports, since in the gallery I see 2.. So yeah you should be good as long as those ports are not being used by something else by you.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.